Subscriber Discussion

Create 200+ Users On A DVR For Each Parent At A Daycare Center

Alex Gonzalez
Jun 14, 2018
IPVMU Certified

HI guys,

I’m reaching out to the community for some help. Does anyone knows of a DVR (not NVR) that would support the creation of 200+ users. This is not for 200 users connected at the same time, but just having the capabilities to create that amount of users. 

This for a daycare center and they want to create a user per each parent. At the moment there is an HD TVI system in place which is the reason it has to be a DVR. 

If anyone can shed some light into this will be greatly appreciated. I’ve tried TVT, Dahua, Hikvision(as much as I would hate to use this brand) but at the moment I’m willing to try any brand. 

Thank you

JH
John Honovich
Jun 14, 2018
IPVM

Related: Daycare Cameras/Multiple Parents Logging In and Daycare Surveillance- What System Would Allow A Few Hundred App Connections To View Live Video?

I don't know the answer here but I worry about the management logistics of managing hundreds of users on any DVR. Hopefully others have advice here.

(2)
U
Undisclosed #1
Jun 14, 2018

Assume you can't create 200+ users on the DVR.  Could you create VPN user accounts instead?  You might not have as much granular tracking of DVR usage but your user account controls (connection time limits, access hours) might be more manageable.

UD
Undisclosed Distributor #2
Jun 14, 2018

This is a question I've had to deal with before and with the chinese offerings of DVR/NVR the usual answer is "it just can't be done, it's not what they were designed for".  It's a sad answer that I wish I did not have to give, but it's the pure truth.  Why haven't these companies advanced at least into the 90's and started working with technologies such as RADIUS, IAS, Single-Sign On or any of the several other methods for remote authentication???  They absolutely REFUSE to update their products to utilize MODERN and SECURE technologies and it should be making everyone more and more curious as to why every single day!

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Jun 14, 2018

One of those links/posts was started by me. We have had 2 different prospects inquire and we found a cloud solution to be the best option. I would look at Eagle Eye and they may be able to use the existing DVR.

Vincent Tong
Jun 14, 2018

Creating the accounts are just one issue.  You would have to take in consideration for the bandwidth those users might use concurrently as well.  If you have 200 users and each is consuming lets say minimum of 1Mbps than you would need a >200Mbps upload. 

I would have a hosting partner like angel cam taking the RTSP streams from the DVR and than embedding it on the daycare website where it has a registration for those 200 users to see.

Alex Gonzalez
Jun 14, 2018
IPVMU Certified

Thank you all for the posts and trying to help me.

Im going to consider the RTSP option, I didn't think

We are going to go with a cloud option because it seems is the only possible way to accommodate the needs of this location.

We tried EagleEye, and also CBN. CBN seem a better an easier to work with so we are going to give that a try. I will inform you all how it goes in case it can help someone in the future with a similar situation.

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions