Subscriber Discussion

License Plate And Face Recognition Test Suite - For Integrators?

Craig Lytle
May 31, 2018

Does anyone know of a License Plate and/or Face Recognition test suite that is designed for integrators to grade potential solutions in real-world scenarios?  It seems that all the suites that exist are designed for academics.   IPVM has published some great articles analyzing recognition solutions (thank John), but I wonder if it's time for a standardized suite to judge manufacturer claims.

JH
John Honovich
May 31, 2018
IPVM

Craig, there are definitely databases out there and I'll share one as an example. However, the question is how an integrator will logistically plan to use it.

Here is the SCface - Surveillance Cameras Face Database and here are some examples of what is included:

The main question is how do you plan to use it? Are you going to import the images in file by file and then try the system out? You could, depending on the system allowing that. I am not sure how well that will mimic or approximate one's own systems or conditions though.

Thoughts?

Craig Lytle
Jun 02, 2018

I was thinking of it more of a standardized grade/certification so integrators would at have a number they could compare.  Perhaps something like:  

"78% success rate against XYZ test suite" - Vendor A

"68% success rate against XYY test suite" - Vendor B

Probably would have to be more than one test suite to cover the different usage models. For example:

- Face Recognition Controlled (for access control)

- Face Recognition In-The-Wild (for suspect detection)

- LPR Controlled (for gate access and tolls)

- LPR In-The-Wild (for suspect and stolen vehicle detection)

I suppose I was focused on Cloud and NVR type solutions where the test inputs are .MP4 files.  Wouldn't really work for cameras so well.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions