Subscriber Discussion

Face Blurring On Video Recordings / Exported Video - What Options Are Available?

Sean Patton
May 02, 2018

GDPR compliancy and face / scene blurring questions are increasing because overall privacy concerns by end users, and new government regulations.

For US public schools, universities, hospitals there is going to be a need to view unblurred faces in hallways or cafeterias in a live setting, but once the video is recorded and needs to be exported, how do those places meet privacy regulations?

A common request I had as an integrator who worked work with K-12 school systems was the ability to blur faces on recorded video (to preserve the confidential information of the students not involved in whatever incident was being reviewed) so the video could be shown to a parent. The only option I was aware of for after-the-fact-blurring was exporting the video as an mp4 and then manually using a Final Cut/Adobe Premiere video editting software to create blurring. I don't think any schools ended up doing this (who has the time?), they just created policies denying access to the video, barring legal intervention, based on the confidential nature of the video.

What solutions have manufacturers or integrators come up with?

(1)
Lasse Sørensen
May 02, 2018

I've just seen this in the Hikvision demo truck passing Europe..

All faces/body was blurred automatic when detected. It was in beta but still, it worked. Hikvision sales, asked for input and feedback how we as installers/integraters would like to use this function. Scheduled blurring, or blurring humans and not cars, ect, ect.    

(1)
Sean Patton
May 03, 2018

I don't doubt that has value, and similar solutions are offered by other vendors, however, what happens if the system misses the face, resulting in the analytic failing to blur it when it's recorded?

MM
Michael Miller
May 03, 2018

If it misses one frame you have a big problem.   The other issue I have seen with these "auto blur" features is its all or nothing.  Meaning all the faces or none of the faces.  Our customers have been asking to be able to selectively blur faces in the video. 

(3)
JH
John Honovich
May 03, 2018
IPVM

Mike,

Have you tried Genetec Clearance to do this? This video claims it can be done face by face:

(2)
(4)
MM
Michael Miller
May 03, 2018

John when we first looked at Clearance it was a manual frame by frame process. This was over a year ago.  Looks like they have updated this process. Thanks for the clip.  

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
May 03, 2018

Genetec’s Clearance allows you to redact video - it can now detect faces to speed up the process.

(2)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #2
May 03, 2018

Just talked to  a VMS manufacturer about this issue.  Their research indicated that end users still want unredacted, original video that can be submitted to law enforcement, but do want the ability to export a blurred video clip. The problem they face is that no one seems to want the original recorded video clip to blur details, but would like a simple, quick method of exporting the modified clip.  Isn't there commercially available software that can modify MPEG-4 files?

Mike Dotson
May 03, 2018
Formerly of Seneca • IPVMU Certified

That was an interesting question and the show ‘Naked and Afraid’ immediately came to mind. 

Some research came up with what they are doing for that show….which is teams of people going frame by frame and blurring what was needed.

For sure if there was a way to automate this task, they would use it.

Perhaps this is a good play for a good GPU processing analytic.

(1)
Luis Carmona
May 03, 2018
Geutebruck USA • IPVMU Certified

Geutebruck has had their "Motion on Privacy" (MOP) for a couple years now, I think they were one of the first to do it. Sorry I don't have a link to some sort of document but Geutebruck is not very good on providing specific marketing literature. But it will pixelate or blur a detected person my varying degrees you can set. The pixelation can be permanent, or it can be based on User rights levels were certain operators are restricted to the pixelated video and others with more rights can access the unpixelated images.

It started in Europe where of course they have much greater privacy requirements and I think it was because of unions initially. Here in the states it's garnered interest in corrections and it was actually approved by a PREA auditor for sensitive areas like showers.

Dwayne Cooney
May 03, 2018

For post processing  Davinci Resolve is a great free video editor with standard key framing and auto tracking.

Their auto tracking works perfectly for censoring with black bars and pixilation.

(5)
Tim Pickles
Nov 07, 2018
Direct Security

Just wondering if anyone had an update on this? we have an urgent requirement for a client requesting exported video face blurring (multiple targets). There several websites out there, but most appear to only blur a single face and seem pretty feeble all round.

This is for FOI and GDPR compliance, so there is a real market here - just a problem finding anything that will do it!

Genetec Clearance looks like it may fit the job - but is it just an online subscription based service that will accept any video import as it appears?

Luis Carmona
Nov 07, 2018
Geutebruck USA • IPVMU Certified

Did you try contacting Geutebruck about their Motion on Privacy I mentioned? It's server based and sounds like it will do what you are looking for without having export and run it through another process.

Sean Patton
Nov 07, 2018

It is an online subscription-based service. It accepts many video formats, we tested the Automatic Face Detection and Redaction (Blurring) feature earlier this year. The face detection tested poorly, but the manual blurring as a backup is a solid feature.

Also, Clearance is available only through Genetec dealers, so that's a limitation if you aren't already a dealer. 

Tim Pickles
Nov 07, 2018
Direct Security

Thanks Sean, I downloaded the free trial to give it a go tomorrow - blissfully unaware that you needed to be a dealer to use it, nothing stated this so I guess you only find out when the trial ends? Nice one Genetec - seems they are masking more than just faces.

Still waiting to hear back from Geutebruck - customer interaction was never their strong point!

(1)
Andrew Elvish
Nov 07, 2018
Genetec Inc.

Hi Tim,

One of my colleagues from the Genetec Clearance team will chime in with more details, but Clearance is available for purchase directly in the app with your credit card.  When the 45-day trial ends it asks you to enter your credit card and then Bob's your uncle.

Hope you enjoy the trial.

Tim Pickles
Nov 08, 2018
Direct Security

Thanks Andrew - looks like we're back on track!

SD
Shannon Davis
Nov 08, 2018
IPVMU Certified

This is really ironic as I would guess 98% of people in any given surveillance clip have posted either a picture or video of themselves online.

(1)
Tim Pickles
Nov 08, 2018
Direct Security
The difference being it was with their consent and knowledge - an informed decision rather than being caught on someones CCTV arbitrarily without any knowledge of it and demanding the right to have it either redacted or removed.
(1)
Tim Pickles
Nov 08, 2018
Direct Security

The difference being it was with their consent and knowledge - an informed decision rather than being caught on someones CCTV arbitrarily without any knowledge of it and demanding the right to have it either redacted or removed, prior to it being re-broadcast to a wider audience - such as a TV clip, YouTube, advertising or a myriad of other media platforms. 

Tim Pickles
Nov 08, 2018
Direct Security

The difference being it was with their consent and knowledge - an informed decision rather than being caught on someones CCTV arbitrarily without any knowledge of it and demanding the right to have it either redacted or removed, prior to it being re-broadcast to a wider audience - such as a TV clip, YouTube, advertising or a myriad of other media platforms. 

SD
Shannon Davis
Nov 08, 2018
IPVMU Certified

Tim I agree with you completely but how many videos and selfies have people taken with their phone and had others in the background. For example a person posts a video of some event that shows people doing something stupid or whatever and it goes viral. The person posting the video thinks this is awesome, my video has been viewed 1 million times. That same person then would be the one that would file a lawsuit because their image was posted in some video, even though it was OK for them to do the same thing. This discussion has to do with liability and PII with a business more than anything especially with the above example. We are dealing more and more with PII and our systems everyday. The costs of goods keep going up do to regulations that keep getting updated. Some regulations make sense and others seem to be implemented just to justify someone's job. 

With that being said the Genetec setup seems to work very well but with some manual manipulation possibly being required. My guess within the next year or so this will be a standard feature.

Tim Pickles
Nov 08, 2018
Direct Security

I can see what you're saying Shannon and don't really disagree. But there is some common sense in anecdotal cases where CCTV footage has been sown on TV in association with a  criminal act that has either exposed the victim or indeed bystanders to be included often without there knowledge or consent. 

As you say - it would be good for all systems to have, as a default, video masking of faces, VRN's and other features with the GDPR controller having the responsibility of maintaining the integrity of personal data. The preferred solution would be for all faces and VRNs to be blurred on all recordings and the controller having the ability to remove the blurring in either requested data subjects or suspected perps (victims).

It would be good to see the US adopt GDPR and help drive the impetus for greater data security and control to be required of recorded footage.

(1)
SD
Shannon Davis
Nov 08, 2018
IPVMU Certified

I'm sure we will adopt something similar to GDPR in the future but the US government will take this to some extreme measures and regulations. One thing the good ole' US of A is good at is over regulating, especially if someone is going to profit from it. 

Tim Pickles
Nov 08, 2018
Direct Security

Pota Kanavaros
Nov 08, 2018

Hi Tim,

I'm the Product Marketing Manager for Genetec Clearance. I just wanted to confirm that you can subscribe to Genetec Clearance with your credit card, at the end of your trial. High volume plans require the involvement of a Genetec channel partner, as they play a critical role in ensuring a successful deployment at scale, but for many customers, plans matching their needs can be selected directly from this page https://store.clearance.network.

If you have some time we’d love to give you a live demo with one of our representatives.

(1)
Tim Pickles
Nov 08, 2018
Direct Security

Hi Pota,

That's great - many thanks. We're trialing on behalf of a client so hopefully, we can move forward with this as, at first glance, it appears to do exactly what the client requires.

Totally understand the high volume use requiring a channel partner - but clarifying low volume use is open to any subscriber is really useful.

Thanks for coming back with the information.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions