Subscriber Discussion

Issue With Avigilon Cameras Going Out Of Focus A Week After Installation

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Apr 06, 2018

Hello,

I am having some odd issues with Avigilon cameras.  We've been installing Avigilon for years with little to no headaches until a few months ago.  We've been experiencing a focus issue with almost all of the sites we've been installing.  The cameras get installed, they look good, a week later a bunch are out of focus.  We refocus them, check a few days later and again they are out of focus (sometimes the same ones sometimes it's different ones that previously looked fine).  I've narrowed it down to the H4SL line and mainly the domes, however we've seen it on other cameras as well.  The H4A bullet line has been totally fine.

I've reached out to Avigilon and although they've been helpful, nothing is working.  If it was the same bunch of cameras then I would just RMA them but unfortunately it's not always the same ones when we log in and check.  I've talked to other Avigilon dealers and nobody is experiencing this issue... My Avigilon Rep also reached out to his peers and customers and has not heard anything similar other than the odd camera going out of focus.

I am hoping that it's something stupid we are doing, but I don't think that this is the case because we've been installing the cameras for quite some time.  Should just be install, auto focus, and walk away.

Has anybody had this problem?

(1)
UE
Undisclosed End User #2
Apr 06, 2018

What recorder(s) are you using for these cameras?  We had a similar issue with some cameras on our site that connected to a 2nd generation appliance.  The appliance would even sometimes drop some of the cameras that wouldn't come back up until physically rebooting the appliance.  We have not had any of these issues with our 1st gen appliances.  After upgrading to 6.8.2.8 we have (so far) not been getting the out of focus or disconnect issues anymore.

UI
Apr 06, 2018

Yes, the dropping of cameras issue was there as well on some sites.  We aren't using Avigilon appliances we are using custom built servers which are above recommended spec.  I just checked to sites and the software is 6.8.0.26 and 6.6.2.4.

I will ask my team to update the software and see what happens.  I was also thinking that it could be related to the server/appliance but not sure why it would cause the cameras to go out of focus.  I actually saw the exact time that one of the cameras went out of focus.  There was no light change or any other drastic change in scenery... just went from focused to out of focus for no reason.

(1)
JC
Jesse Crawford
Apr 06, 2018
OpenEye

Are they out of focus Day and Night, or just night? It's not really as simple as "Should just be install, auto focus, and walk away."

UI
Apr 06, 2018

The cameras are in focus and then will randomly go out of focus at some point and stay out of focus until you go in and click "auto focus".

I know that it's not as simple as "install, focus, walk away".  But we shouldn't have to be logging in daily to re-focus cameras.

Paul Grefenstette
Apr 06, 2018

Where are they installed and is there any vibration?

(1)
UI
Apr 06, 2018

Indoor and outdoor cameras. Various locations and vibration is not an issue. In fact a couple cameras that are on a post at one site are vibrating and aren’t having any focus issues. 

I reviewed video on an indoor camera, facing reception area, and it just went out of focus for no reason. 

Paul Grefenstette
Apr 06, 2018

hmm turn off 2nd stream, wdr and ir shift and refocus and watch it over the next few days and see if that resolves the issue -- taking a shot on this not a proven/tested solution ;)

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Apr 06, 2018

That’s a pretty specific “wild shot” ;)

(1)
Paul Grefenstette
Apr 06, 2018

ty undisclosed ;)

well my guess is he is seeing the low rez 2nd stream so turning that off would prove that and taking wdr and ir shift off takes 2 other possible guesses  -- i have only seen focus issues with avigilon cameras (varifocal models) where we have installed in industrial areas with vibration -- if its bad you have to go with fixed lens not varifocal as it will shake it out of focus

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Apr 06, 2018

ahhhhhhhh. Experience helps!

(1)
UI
Apr 06, 2018

Thanks, we already tried all that at the recommendation of Avigilon.  No luck.

JG
Jeff Gack
Apr 06, 2018
IPVMU Certified

I have not used Avigilon cameras, but I've seen a similar problem with other cams.

Some cameras have a tough time autofocusing at night.

What you might want to try is to focus the camera in low light if you can and then set to manual focus and leave it there, then see if the camera goes out of focus again.

MM
Michael Miller
Apr 06, 2018

Do you use auto focus button after you install the cameras?  Are you focusing them in color mode or B/W mode?  Are the cameras in focus when in color then out of focus when in B/W mode?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #4
May 01, 2018

Hi - I have seen this before where cameras can view an IR light source and / or strobe lighting. Could any of the cameras be viewing sources like this. With IR as the issue  its hard to find as you cant actually see it but the camera can. Are the cameras themselves using IR - as the same can happen with reflections of IR

U
Undisclosed #5
Jul 16, 2019
IPVMU Certified

U1, was there any resolution or additional information learned?

Aaron Verzotti
Jul 16, 2019

Have you peeled the plastic protective film off the Domes??

Seriously though, have you swapped any out with known good cameras that haven't experienced the issue? If you have a location that constantly goes out of focus, and a good Aviglon same model, swap them and see if the problem follows the camera or stays at the location. 

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions