Subscriber Discussion

Looking For High-End Covert WiFi Camera Compliant With CIS Hardening Standards

UE
Undisclosed End User #1
Apr 03, 2018

Hi, I'm looking for a covert camera that uses WiFi. I know there are a lot of solutions out there but most of them appear to be low-end set ups that can't really be configured. These cameras will be used in a corporate setting and need to connect to corporate WiFi. The upside of using the company's infrastructure is that we'll have plenty of bandwidth and reliability, the downside is that we have to make sure the camera is compliant with CIS hardening standards. Any suggestions?

Sean Patton
Apr 03, 2018

Let me start off with a quick question, how covert? Does it need to be disguised as a clock, sprinkler head in the ceiling, or pinhole lens viewing?

(1)
UE
Undisclosed End User #1
Apr 03, 2018

Thanks for the quick response. The general setting would be in office areas so pinhole would be best. I don't mind mounting a unit inside of a prop myself but if there are complete solutions out there, that would be great. 

rw
richard wright
Apr 05, 2018

Put your camera in the wall or ceiling and run cable back to a network closet or utilize cellular. If you are going to tiptoe around your IT guys don't make the cabling sloppy and don't create fire hazards.

(1)
UE
Undisclosed End User #2
Apr 04, 2018

Why Wi-Fi option?  You will still need to power the devices so the ease of installation using Wi-Fi goes out the door especially if these are not a temp covert solution and you just want the devices to be discrete and blend in if you will.  

Axis, Hanwha and Arecont all have pinhole/covert type 1080p devices that have a wired imager connected to a small encoder, get crafty and create some neat enclosures to hide them in. 

Axis and Hanwha have very robust cyber programs to meet CIS needs.

(1)
(1)
UE
Undisclosed End User #1
Apr 04, 2018

We need to stick to WiFi primarily because it will allow us to rapidly deploy the cameras without having to request a network drop but also because whatever we use to conceal the camera (wall clock, pencil sharpener, etc.) would normally have a power cord but wouldn't have Cat6 attached.

Jon Dillabaugh
Apr 04, 2018
Pro Focus LLC

I also don't understand from what you have said so far that requires a wireless device. Was it just something you pitched, so you are sticking to it? Is it a real requirement for a technical reason? Is it to help with concealment? Otherwise, you still will likely need a power wire, unless a few hours run time would suffice.

(1)
UE
Undisclosed End User #1
Apr 04, 2018

We need to stick to WiFi primarily because it will allow us to rapidly deploy the cameras without having to request a network drop but also because whatever we use to conceal the camera (wall clock, pencil sharpener, etc.) would normally have a power cord but wouldn't have Cat6 attached.

(1)
Brian Karas
Apr 04, 2018
Pelican Zero

IMO you are not going to find that exact device. Your two best options are:

1) Use a camera with SD-card recording and trade live viewing for post-event review. Unless you really need to catch someone in the act in real-time, this may be a better overall option.

2) Find an IP camera that suits your needs and a wifi bridge that meets your IT requirements and connect the two together to create a compliant device. Yes, this will make the overall unit a bit larger, so you may need more creativity on the disguise you use for the camera.

(2)
(2)
UE
Undisclosed End User #1
Apr 04, 2018

Thanks for the input!

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions