Subscriber Discussion

Put Axis Camera On The Internet Without Port Forwarding?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Apr 02, 2018

I have an application where I need to install a single camera in a room and have it available on the internet.

Was looking at the Axis M1045-LW because there needs to be recording. Haven't had to deal with this since all our other projects are on corporate networks and IT took care of this type of thing. I am leary of port forwarding and am wondering what other folks have done.

JH
John Honovich
Apr 02, 2018
IPVM

#1, Axis Companion software has a cloud / phone home service that would allow avoiding port forwarding.

(2)
(1)
UI
Apr 02, 2018

Thanks John,

So this looks good, seems as simple as loading the app on a device and pointing it at the camera with remote access turned on. Anyone actually doing this with Axis cams?

JH
John Honovich
Apr 02, 2018
IPVM

I am sure there are, it's been available for a number of years. It's (obviously) not the typical use case since most Axis cameras go on larger systems /VMSes, etc. Let's see what experience others have with this.

(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #2
Apr 02, 2018

Yes, just did this for a friend that needed to monitor their elderly mother living in a very large home.

4 of the Companion wireless cubes w SD cards -> WiFi back to a dedicated ubiquity access point -> back to the router. 

Companion configured everything and no port forwarding required. Even has 2-way audio. 

Good luck. 

(3)
UI
Apr 02, 2018

Thanks U2

(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #2
Apr 02, 2018

On a funnier note, also just did this last night with an M1065-LW to film my humanely catching a mouse that got in my house over the weekend in a homemade mouse trap. 

Got the little sucker on film but he just stared at my contraption and walked away. 😡

(4)
UE
Undisclosed End User #3
Apr 02, 2018

Depending on the application, especially if the stream is meant for wider distribution, something like Camstreamer can be a good solution.  We use it for some weather cams.  

UI
Apr 02, 2018

I looked at camstreamer. Basically only need one maybe two people to remote access.

Not worth paying for a Youtube license.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions