Undisclosed Integrator #1
Apr 02, 2018

Any opinion on vca/udp technology?

JH
John Honovich
Apr 02, 2018
IPVM

Out of 200+ responses, there were only 3 mentions of VCA:

• "Our testing with a VCA camera seemed to be pretty effective. We just didn't care for the camera and would rather use an appliance like the Bridge."
  • "We have moved from Avigilon to VCA. Avigilon had a poor integration to immix after Sept 2017 when they discontinued Rialtos"
  • "VCA that is integrateed with Mirasys NVR"

We have not tested VCA so cannot comment on performance. One problem, regardless of performance, is simply distribution / marketing / channel sales. They just don't have much of that relative to the bigger players in the space.

(1)
(1)
Igor Falomkin
Apr 02, 2018
AxxonSoft

Dear John, do you have information about the most popular types of analytics? It would be really interesting to take a look at such list. From this article it is not clear.

(3)
JH
John Honovich
Apr 02, 2018
IPVM

Igor, we did not ask for that breakdown. I've queued up a future survey asking that question.

However, from scanning the results the most common cited is clearly tripwire / cross line (depending on what marketing term / descriptor used).

(2)
U
Undisclosed #2
Apr 02, 2018

You can elaborate on ..."Genetec's investment/acquisition of Kiwi" ??

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Apr 02, 2018

John, with Bosch including analytics as standard in their cameras from the 4000 series upwards, it would be interesting to understand why they fared so poorly and worse than in 2016 when analytics was only in their high end cameras. Is it purely down to lack of integrator responses on Bosch?

(1)
UD
Undisclosed Distributor #4
Apr 03, 2018

I agree, Bosch is very user friendly and the Forensic search after the fact is pretty awesome.

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #5
Apr 03, 2018

But how does it integrate with other systems? Bosch is not as popular a name, even though it (may) be in the top 10 (?). Can the alarm over IP be read by standard ONVIF protocol or most any system who receives cameras alarms over IP using the Bosch SDK? Maybe the analytics are good, and I've gotten that from another VMS manufacturer who also has an analytics option, but maybe it's a problem with not too many people adopting Bosch products in general.

Another thing is the apparent aversion from manufacturers directly making comparison claims against competitors. For example I've never seen or heard of an advertisement saying "In a test comparing our analytics to Avigilon and Agent VI, our Bosch analytics beat Avigilon by 20% in positive detections and had 15% less false detections that Agent VI." As long as there seems to be some sort of detente between the manufacturers where they don't take each other on directly by name, they will have to concede Avigilon's lead in the branding campaign, deserved or not.

JH
John Honovich
Apr 08, 2018
IPVM

I think the lack of Bosch selections in analytics is partially driven by the lack of Bosch selections as favorite cameras because if you are not using Bosch cameras, by definition, you are not using their analytics.

Conversely, I do not believe Axis analytics are so great but Axis is so widely used that even if a small portion of their integrators use their analytics, they are going to do well relatively speaking.

(1)
Jonathan Lewit
Apr 04, 2018

John, as you are following up on your future survey, it may be worth breaking up applications into those that are using analytic capabilities and those that are trying to solve specific problems by leveraging analytic solutions.  These audiences likely have different perceptions and expectations.

I see many where the analytic is seen as an enhancement to the existing charter of the security system.  These focus on grabbing attention and directing or assisting security operators with their daily tasks.  The main case here would seem to be efficiency.

There is a broader category of applications where the analytic introduce a new solution to for the end user.  Consider Parking Lot Inventory systems, flow counts and other operational use cases.

(2)
JH
John Honovich
Apr 04, 2018
IPVM

those that are using analytic capabilities and those that are trying to solve specific problems by leveraging analytic solutions.

I see your example about solutions including Parking Lot inventory but not sure what you mean by "using analytic capabilities", presumably they all are trying to solve specific problems, e.g., if I use people counting, I am likely trying to understand traffic flow over time and if I use tripwire I am trying to prevent unauthorized entry. Can you clarify?

As I mentioned to Igor, we will have a future survey asking about most common video analytic applications. One challenge will be that 50% of respondents will answer none :) but it is still worth understanding which the other half are using.

SD
Shannon Davis
Apr 05, 2018
IPVMU Certified

Well, let’s put it this way, Bosch IP camera analytics are currently compatible with Genetec, Milestone, OnSSI, Exacq, Lenel, Software House, Bosch VMS, etc.   Avigilon IP camera analytics are compatible with Avigilon and… ????.  Are Bosch analytics as good as Avigilon? Bosch is a powerhouse in mobility and autonomous driving, so let’s hope so. In our experience, the cameras perform every bit as good as Avigilon.  Get one and give it a test drive.  What is more interesting is the Bosch cameras analytic engine generates metadata (the information content from the scene) which you can save in combination with the video, or separately in a SQL compatible format.  The latter allows for parsing of the data to display it in a visual interactive dashboard software, like Tableau, etc. We’re currently evaluating a number of uses cases to leverage this.

(2)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #5
Apr 05, 2018

Shannon, thanks for your input and the information on compatibility. But you missed the point of asking why manufacturers don't do direct comparison tests. So we have to do the work for them? If someone is already using Avigilon and are happy with them, their not going to have much of an impetus to take the time to test Bosch unless someone does it for them..... like say, I don't know, IPVM..?

As for Bosch being a provider for analytics in autonomous driving, my experience says you should not so easily make comparisons of performance across different industries. We're not interested in how it works in vehicles, we're interested in how it works in cameras in a security application.

I appreciate the other information, thanks.

(1)
(2)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions