Subscriber Discussion

How Many Manufacturers Offer Support On IPVM Discussions?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Feb 27, 2018

I have noticed that some manufacturers and OEMs do seem to provide support on IPVM.  Milestone, in particular, deserves to be called out for active engagement as they have 1 or 2 folks post on here frequently -- and they have their own excellent support forums.  FLIR does post occasionally when mentioned.  Some of the distributors such as Savvy, Nelly's, and so on post as well.  Are there any other manufacturers?  Are there others that are simply Undisclosed? 

IMO it is a credit to those manufacturers who are actively engaged with the end user and integrator community.

(4)
JH
John Honovich
Feb 27, 2018
IPVM

Some of the distributors such as Savvy, Nelly's, and so on post as well

Yes, Nelly's is very supportive of IPVM :)

Good post. Most manufacturers do. Axis regularly answers, generally they give us answers by email and we post. Swedes... Hanwha does as well, sometimes undisclosed. Bosch just answered an IPVM discussion yesterday. Dahua answered one last month. Genetec does from time to time.

Avigilon does not. :)

We might encourage manufacturers to comment more on support requests. Some are somewhat concerned about saying the wrong thing or overstepping bounds (though on many forums, vendors actually pay for the privilege, e.g., Spiceworks).

To be clear, though it's important to avoid promotional posts, manufacturers can benefit from giving good factual responses especially when their customers are asking questions that relate to their products.

Likewise, if someone mentions IPVM on other forums, I am happy to offer feedback, help or input as I see it as a good way to build trust and awareness among others.

(2)
(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Feb 27, 2018

Avigilon does not. :)

The ban is still in place?  They should make their own community forums or build out the knowledge base beyond mediocrity if IPVM is still a no-go.

(2)
(1)
(1)
U
Undisclosed #2
Feb 27, 2018

Are you Avigilon partner?

Josh Hendricks
Feb 27, 2018
Milestone Systems

There are a good number of manufacturers who will help out here. My opinion is that it will rarely result in a less positive perception of the manufacturer. Even if people talk of nothing but issues, appearing to care about those issues is not going to hurt.

I don't want to encourage support cases to originate on IPVM as it's generally more effective to report the issue by phone or our case management system where the issue will be documented and tracked with some accountability (although there's nothing like the entire IPVM community to hold you accountable).

I enjoy engaging with the community here. I've learned a lot by following discussions so I try to give back where I can. Plus, I pay(ed) for my own membership so I need to keep earning those votes to keep my account afloat. I think subscribed around Q3 2016, and thanks to the voting/rewards system I haven't had to make a payment since!

(5)
(7)
Marty Major
Feb 28, 2018
Teledyne FLIR

I agree with Mr. Hendricks.

IPVM is not a manufacturer-specific support forum, but members who are manufacturer employees (even when they are not in a position to speak for their company) can, and should, try and help when possible.  How can there be a downside to that?

This is part of what being a subscriber means imo.... we are all part of the same community. 

(2)
Jared Beagley
Feb 28, 2018
Seagate Technology

Seagate here, just not often a whole lot revolving around storage and hard drives to post on frequently, since our goal is to always provide value when we participate in forums. We are here though, and always looking to contribute where possible.

(3)
(3)
U
Undisclosed #3
Mar 06, 2018

I work for a manufacturer but always post as “undisclosed”. I do so for a variety of reasons- a couple being:

1. I pay for my own subscription so am not an “official” speaker for my company. 

2. As I am not official it is quite frowned upon in my organization to engage any forum like this and be a representative. 

I will chime in every now and then if I believe my particular view point will add to the discussion. But it’s mine and not my companies so....  undisclosed it is. 

(2)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions