Camera Mounting Height

Ethan Ace
Aug 27, 2013

Here are my thoughts:

Start from 20', bring it down to 5-6', take images in 1' increments.

I plan to use the Axis P series dome since it has motorized zoom and autofocus, which makes life easier for me.

As far as range, we need to do close, medium, and far, whatever those mean. Close, maybe 6-8'? Medium, ~20', and far 50'+?

Do we need to do this day and night?

JH
John Honovich
Aug 27, 2013
IPVM

I think the big other element is tilt. As you bring the camera down from 20 to 5, even if the person stays in the same place, the tilt needs to be adjusted. Does Derek like climbing ladders?

In terms of range 6-8' and 20' are good enough for the typical outdoor wall / exit cameras.

Day vs night is a good question. Day is the focus. I would start with a short test at night to see if the performance variance differs (i.e., low's superiority over high is greater at night than day or vice versa). If it looks significant, then do a full test.

Ethan Ace
Aug 30, 2013

From 17' down to 5' at 6' range to subject:

JH
John Honovich
Aug 30, 2013
IPVM

How far is he from the camera?

Also would be helpful to have a label for each image denoting the camera height for that image.

Do we have other shots where is further away from the camera or at different angles?

Ethan Ace
Aug 30, 2013

Sorry, that's at 6' from the camera. I was planning on labeling each of them, I just wanted to get a take on the animation first. I started using GIMP so I can easily go back and change layers.

We have shots at 24' and 48', too. This one is obviously the most dramatic, but the others illustrate the difference in angle of incidence.

Brian Rhodes
Aug 30, 2013
IPVMU Certified

^^^ Derek looks like he's afraid of getting racked.

That's a pretty useful gif. It is stupid easy to see how camera height affects the usefulness of the scene. Why spend $800 on MP camera if your camera height just shows the top of people's heads? However, some height labels on each frame as they step through would be helpful.

JH
John Honovich
Sep 05, 2013
IPVM

The labels would do better with a white background so the numbers pop.

Also, we should include an IPVM logo on the bottom right hand corner.

Let's also encourage to re-use the gif. We don't need to do anything special. Just mention that we encourage it.

We need to add some pictures of the various install heights as well as maybe a jvsg schematic showing the setups.

FB
Figen Bekisli
Sep 26, 2013

John,

We discussed and thought that 7' height best for the face recognition when the subject is standing at 6' and upper than 7' we started to lose face details.And the critical angle is 20°. For the face tilted ~ 15-20°, the best height is around 5'. These are the images.

When the head tilted down,

any thoughts?

JH
John Honovich
Sep 26, 2013
IPVM

looks good but make sure to label the pictures appropriately so that people know which one is downtilt vs straight ahead

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions