Subscriber Discussion

Burg And Access System Sharing Door Contacts

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Feb 22, 2018

What is the cleanest way to share the alarm door contact wiring without using jumper cables within the access control panel enclosure or full software integration? Possible?

Michael Silva
Feb 22, 2018
Silva Consultants

I recommend the use of double-pole double-throw contacts. Use one set for the access control, the other set for the intrusion alarm system.

(8)
(2)
U
Undisclosed #2
Feb 22, 2018

As usual, Mr. Silva wins.

MC
Marty Calhoun
Feb 22, 2018
IPVMU Certified

Use a DPDT concealed contact

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Feb 22, 2018

I agree that a clean way and very secure is a concealed DPDT set of contacts.  I installed hundreds at a single high security building. 

If you are integrating the access and intrusion where there might be a requirement for the access system to bypass the door alarm it could be more convenient to run the door contact into the access control system first and then use a relay on the ACS board to follow the door state. 

This would allow the ACS system to control the output before the alarm panel through the GUI and with less wiring.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #4
Feb 22, 2018

Seems then you are monitoring the access control panel and not the door.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Feb 23, 2018

That’s certainly possible.  I’ll just get a little snarky back  

Actually the other way you are monitoring the magnet and not the door if you want to get that technical.   Just pry out the magnet, glue it to the contact and prop the door....right?

In a practical sense you are counting on the access control system to keep the door locked or unlock it (fail safe/secure) which is pretty important too.

You could make a relay fail safe and connect that to the alarm panel to monitor the status of the relay board if necessary on a 24 hour circuit.

How would you suggest bypassing the door from the ACS system while maintaining secured EOL wiring during a RTE/RQE event and keeping the door armed the balance of the time?

U
Undisclosed #4
Feb 23, 2018

In ICD ICS 705, I think I need an X09 lock installed on an ACS door in order to bypass(either direction). Down at the local gas station I guess the sky is the limit with your creativity, functionality and whether or not the customer nods his head in approval.

As far as a suggestion to what you asked, you could use a man trap to keep your EOL on at all times and have the rule allow only one exit, per portal, per direction at one time. To consume even more of the customer's money you can make it read in read out with each action arming/disarming the system. Let me know if you need anything else, BRB beer.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions