Monday August 26, 2013 Daily Update

Ethan Ace
Aug 26, 2013

Making this because I need to step out a little earlier than usual today.

Today:

• Shot Mobotix outdoor images. Interesting performance difference between across FOV and toward/away.
  • Finished edits on VMD report, embedded screencast, Mx images, done and published.
  • Working with Figen to finish color fidelity image tweaks and shirt comparisons. Want to have that one done tomorrow, Wednesday latest.
  • Working with Derek to set up Bosch microdomes for shootout. He's setting up FOV. They are vastly different, so this should be interesting. The imagers look different from each other as far as color/WB, etc., much like the 3004/3005/3006.
  • Made a shopping list for the camera mounting height test, and have the procedure figured out. We should be able to start at 20' and come down, unless you think that's higher than we need to go. Going to extend a tripod with a pipe and mark it with 1' increments to make this easy, slide a camera clamp down a foot at a time.
  • Worked with Figen and Derek on preliminary cross line stuff, just to get a feel for issues, performance, etc. Mounting angle is the most interesting thing and will be highlighted. We're going to test it outdoors in the CSI parking lot tomorrow. I think we should draw up an overhead view, much like Axis does, with line locations and directions, to illustrate exactly what we're doing. Vehicles entering/exiting the lot, trucks pulling up to the warehouse, people leaving the building, etc., we can do all of them day/night tomorrow.

Tomorrow:

• Color fidelity screencast and final images/edits.
  • Crossline testing day and night.
  • Building the rig for camera height.
JH
John Honovich
Aug 26, 2013
IPVM

Starting at 20' sounds good, ratcheting down in 1 foot increments will be very revealing. The only thing we need to think through is how many angle of incidents do we test and how many positions of subject. There's a bunch of permutations that commonly occur and we will need to document a handful.

Ethan Ace
Aug 26, 2013

I'll make a separate thread to discuss.

JG
John Grocke
Aug 26, 2013

I spent about an hour or so this morning researching options for a discussion topic for a 65 degree C IP66/67 camera housing. I was going to write a post about it, but I'm not sure if we already have it covered between here and here. Is it worth another post or maybe combining the two?

I was really struggling this morning to pick/find an article to write about. I did start outlining articles for Design-Build RFP's and Owner/Integrators. Wanted to write a pice on Cameras Onsite rental surveillance cameras but cannot get a call returned. Same for 24/7 Onsite cameras.

John did some training with me to take a more active role managing the discussion section. I will attempt to be a "first responder" but if it outside my area of expertise, will attempt to pass it along to someone else here who is.

John also suggested that I review our 2011 and earlier articles and identify any that could use refreshing or updating. I made it as far back as Jan. 2010. Before that it gets really concentrated on specific camera tests and news articles. It is interesting to see how IPVM has evolved in just a few years. Here is a list of topics that I found, take a look and let me know your comments. Maybe we can discuss them on Friday during out topics discussion.

CP
Carlton Purvis
Aug 26, 2013
  • Chris Peterson post done: http://ipvm.com/updates/2190
  • Pixy post updated and done: http://ipvm.com/updates/2200
  • Tomorrow: Start on the Sales Reps/Trend post. Spent a little trying to build that list of companies/contacts.
  • Touched base again w/my contact at DHS about the facial recognition system. He's going to see what he can get and see if he can facilitate an interview similar to the one for ISIS. He said to touch base again with him Friday.
  • Reached out to Martin Gill again about doing and interview.
  • Was supposed to hear back from the school with the bus camera deployment by COB today. No dice. And "in meetings" when I call them.
  • Followed up with Seattle about the bus cameras that missed a shooting because of a "hard drive error." Investigation is still ongoing. I put a note on my calendar to remind me to get in touch with them in a few weeks.
  • Getting this contract for three cameras and a wireless network for a parking lot ($16K) and this contract for new cameras in Nashville

Ideas:

This guy used Rasberry Pi's camera and a dummy camera to make a camera that triggers for motion alerts and saves clips.

A Maryland county has mandated security cameras in convenience stores open at night (must have at least 3 cameras that record 24/7).

There seems to be a glitch in the text box for these discussions. If I try and cut and paste something or start typing in a new section of the body, the length of the box shortens so then I can't see anything I've written.

Looks like this:

JH
John Honovich
Aug 27, 2013
IPVM

Submitted a bug report on the text box.

Make sure to create posts for each topic you are working on, even if it might not become one. We can always delete but better to have a central place to track.

The dummy cam thing is dumb. The Maryland thing is too niche.

The long beach contract looks like a winner.

SW
Sarit Williams
Aug 27, 2013
  • I finished R&D on Network Optix, Avigilon, Exacq and Video Insight.
  • Received the outstanding responses from Genetec, Milestone, and Exacq and started putting it all together. Should have a draft to look at tomorrow.
  • Grocke- regarding your comments: I'd like to take on the following for my roadmap:"Have any other VMS manufacturers followed Exacq’s online training? and Manufacturer’s Online Training Video Library - Is this worth refreshing?" as a new post outlining each of the VMS's training options which would be a good post and something I experienced while going through prior posts.
JH
John Honovich
Aug 27, 2013
IPVM

A comparison of VMS training / certification / manual options would be very interesting.

FB
Figen Bekisli
Aug 27, 2013

Working on the color fidelity test images and article contents. To be continued tonight to get ready for final discussion with Ethan tomorrow.

Mobotix outdoor testing with team for the VMD article.

Did the preliminary tests for the crossline detection indoors.

Derek Ward
Aug 27, 2013
Hanwha
  • Began preliminary Axis cross line dectection studies. Ethan nailed it on the head with our findings thus far.
  • Helped setup and was test subject for Mobotix Q24 motion detection screenshots.
  • IP addressed Bosch minidomes, and attached each camera to a different tripod due to large FOV variance. It will be a challenge to align all cameras to a proper FOV for testing, but I'll figure it out.
  • Started internal discussion on POE Power Panel Tool.
  • Went shopping for camera mounting rig parts, but out of the two hardware stores I visited (Lowes and Ace Hardware), they did not have the 10' schedule 80 pvc pipe we needed, but I can grab the smaller pieces of hardware on my way in tomorrow.
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions