Subscriber Discussion

Dropcam Founder Releases $349 Owl Camera..For Your Car

Chris Anderson
Feb 12, 2018

From the founder of DropCam this new product/company looks like an interesting solution to address a pretty big problem and potentially quite large market.  Seems like it's in pre-order at the moment (pre-pre order if you have android).

The product itself seems to be unique in that they've added some features that may make it stand out:

- Dual direction camera

- Voice Capture

- Antitheft floodlights

- OBD interface (An interesting approach to powering & possible integration with vehicle data/systems)

- Onboard sensors (Gryo, compass, accelerator, temp)

- Analytics 

I don't know anything about it other than the marketing and PR stuff that's out, but I wondered if other folks think there is value here?   Thoughts on the bundle and price point?  I'm always intrigued by established players breaking into new markets.  Also I know I personally know of a lot of problems with car related theft and vandalism so it's interesting in that regard and doesn't seem like an unreasonable price point... if it performs :)

(1)
(2)
JH
John Honovich
Feb 12, 2018
IPVM

Chris, thanks for sharing! I saw this when they first when public two weeks ago or so but forgot about in the wave of industry acquisitions.

I have only scanned their website and watched one video but I think it's interesting, mainly because no one has 'won' the premium position for driver cameras. There is no 'Dropcam' or 'Ring' or 'Arlo' or 'Axis' or whatever of that space. It's largely populated by unknown brands that mainly compete on price.

If Owlcam can deliver, I could see them become a choice at the high end of the consumer market.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions