Subscriber Discussion

SURVEY: What's Your Company's Security DNA?

UE
Undisclosed End User #1
Feb 08, 2018

Hello IPVM Members;

I think everyone can agree that these days the "sexy" topics are cyber, risk and business continuity; to a degree, at the expense of classical physical security. The corporation I work for has asked for some data on this shift and where resources, including headcount, are being allocated in the industry.

Yes, I'll be reading through the reports from ASIS, CSO and SP&T, but figured might as well try to get some of my own data, and share it with anyone and everyone that's interested.

Tthe results available here in real-time including a download.  

Thanks in advance to those who choose to participate and to the IPVM team for letting me post this survey.

MM
Michael Miller
Feb 08, 2018

UE
Undisclosed End User #1
Feb 08, 2018

Fixed, thanks Michael!

UE
Undisclosed End User #1
Feb 10, 2018

Ok, so there doesn’t seem to be a lot of interest in the survey. Wondering if anyone would be willing to provide either feedback why (sick of surveys? don’t trust confidentiality?), or simply post here how many people work in their company’s PhySec team and size of company?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Feb 14, 2018

Either the survey is overly broad or many of the IPVM members are not inside your target demographic.  This appears to be directed towards security managers / end user more so than integrators or manufacturers.

JH
John Honovich
Feb 14, 2018
IPVM

Btw, I just pinned this to get it more views. Also, I edited the original post to make the survey link bigger / easier to select. I still think, though, a key issue is how broad the survey is, e.g., an integrator answering this is unlikely to provide terribly applicable results as they tend to be smaller organizations.

(1)
UE
Undisclosed End User #1
Feb 15, 2018

Thanks John!

U
Undisclosed
Feb 14, 2018

guard company's security DNA perhaps?

UE
Undisclosed End User #1
Feb 14, 2018

Nope, the actual company itself. 

Say you work for a F500 company, what's the composition of the team that oversees security for that company as a whole, how many people are there and what do they do?

The guards at the gate, front desk or SOC are related, but not the focus.

I'm seeing a lot of talk about cyber and bcp needing more staff, but trying to establish what's the "right-number" for corporate security in the classical, non-watered-down sense.

U
Undisclosed #3
Feb 15, 2018

I saw this thread a few days ago and went to the survey....

Then, after the first few questions I determined that most low level employees of security industry companies (like myself) are not the target of this survey.  Why?  Because only the 3 letter types in any company are going to have (potentially) a better overview of the operations of that company with which to answer your surveys questions.

For instance:

Integrators - even big ones - don't generally deploy human guards to man their facilities.

Same thing for the industry manufacturers (whose employees populate IPVM along with integrators, distributors and others).

Your survey seems (imo) as if it would be better focused on ASIS members vs IPVM members - as this former group is comprised of those on the customer end of security.  i.e. the people who would know the answers to your survey questions regarding human guarding at the operational level.

(1)
UE
Undisclosed End User #1
Feb 15, 2018

Thanks for the feedback, knew this wasn't the ideal forum or target audience, but figured any data's good data and there might be the odd end-user on here that would be able (and willing) to answer these questions.

Even with ASIS, CSO...heck, even Google, doesn't seem to be a lot of discussion on the topic. Sort of one of those thing you need to have an informal face-to-face with your peers.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions