Subscriber Discussion

Getting Line Level Inputs To Audio In On Camera

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Jan 24, 2018

We are connecting some cameras where the audio in will need to come off the microphone amp after. The cameras have a mic in distribution block. We are trying to decide the best way to handle this cable run. What would you use?

Also for the cameras that are not getting audio from this feed what would you recommend for a stand alone mic?

Brian Karas
Jan 24, 2018
IPVM

We are connecting some cameras where the audio in will need to come off the microphone amp after.

After what?

Generally speaking, if you are trying to carry a line-level signal over a long distance, I would recommend using twisted cable and baluns to help reduce noise and minimize chance of ground loops.

Ethan Ace
Jan 24, 2018

So to be clear, you're taking a line level output, running it some distance, and then converting to mic at the camera? Is the camera input mic only or can it be switched between mic and line? What sort of distance is the cable run? All of those questions change my answer.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Jan 24, 2018

I was thinking about this Audio Book

UI
Jan 24, 2018

So most of the cameras will be 50 to 80 feet from the Microphone amp the announcer uses.

We need to get that audio from the announcers mic which runs to the amp back to the camera so it can be recorded on the VMS via the network connection. 

The cameras are the Hikvision DS-2cd2642FWD-izs these have the audio in and out via the same four wire terminal block. 

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Jan 24, 2018

Are we talking several cameras and a single announcers microphone?

It might be easier to place a multi-channel encoder near the mixer and use a VMS to record that allows you to select any audio channel for a camera input. 

Scott Bradford
Jan 24, 2018
IPVMU Certified

For a stand alone mic I've had good luck with the Sony SCA-M30  (Yes, i know that says 'scam' 30 but the mic is pretty good.) Axis makes a mic that is cheaper but I had issues with its noise reduction, or lack there of

Louroe is also a big name in mics and have one in a similar price range to the Sony

UI
Jan 26, 2018

Each announcer is in a separate area a so it will just be one mic feed to a single camera for each area. There are secondary cameras in the area and in the future it might be necessary to record audio with stand alone mics. 

We want to keep this as simple as possible and it should be just a cable run but we want to make sure the audio is clear. 

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions