Jim Kirk
Jan 23, 2018

Hikvision is showing V4 NVR firmware (for North America) on their website:

http://blog.hikvision.com/blog/hikvision-north-america-launches-new-nvr-gui-4.0

They say it's applicable to their pro series NVR's, 
1. DS-9632NI-I8
2. DS-9664NI-I8
3. DS-9616NI-I8

Anyone try this out and can comment on how it compares to their current GUI firmware V3.4.92?  According to the download page Hikvision warns:

Software Description: 

Warning for I-Series NVR users: Before upgrading to v4.1.10 firmware. Be sure the NVR is on at least firmware 3.4.92. Failure to have the NVR on either of these firmware versions before upgrading to v4.1.10 could render the NVR in-operable.

I have 8 Hikvision cameras on my LAN.

I use the DS-9632NI-I8 and if I have set up the NVR with port forwarding (1 port-the NVR port-is forwarded in my router I have also changed the NVR port from 8000 to something else). 

I access the NVR from the internet using IOS iVMS-4200 and, locally, I access the NVR directly on its NVR interface(HDMI monitor to NVR) via a mouse.

I'm wondering if the NVR security is now improved (or was it ever a problem with the way I am using it?).  It's a bit confusing on whether NVR's have a security problem or just port forwarded cameras could have the problem?  

MC
Marty Calhoun
Jan 23, 2018
IPVMU Certified

We have been using Version 4.0 for many months, customers especially love the new GUI.

(1)
Ethan Ace
Jan 23, 2018

We have a test report on NVR 4.0 here.

The local UI is much different, and in a number of ways better, including faster login by pattern instead of point and click with a mouse, it shows an event log, shows "target capture" which highlights objects on alarm, and has a couple improvements to playback. 

I don't think that it had much impact on security or mobile app use. At least not that I remember.

DR
Dennis Ruban
Jan 23, 2018

I used V4 once with 76XX NVR. I downgraded the FW as NVR was not able to recognize a replacement camera on a local port

Jim Kirk
Jan 25, 2018

Thanks for the comments.  Thanks for the link to the NVR 4.0 test report Ethan.

I completed my upgrade to V4.1.10_171107 (north America release) from V3.4.93_170808.  Already had pattern sign in in 3.4.93 so my pattern carried over.  

SUMMARY OF UPGRADE OBSERVATIONS-CAMERA SETTINGS ARE CHANGED WITH UPGRADE AND WITH SUBSEQUENT REBOOT OF NVR

I had 8 Hikvision cameras in V3.4.93 and they all use SMART EVENTS (100% I use line crossing and intrusion detection) to initiate NVR recording.  I use a custom arming schedule for my smart events in all 8 cameras.  I only want to trigger NVR recording on events and the camera is where I set things up.

When the upgrade completed all 8 cameras were live and online in the NVR EXCEPT the NVR upgrade communicated with all the cameras and sets the ARMING SCHEDULE to CONTINUOUS IN THE CAMERA to 24 x 7.!  In the NVR the recording schedule is 24 x7 EVENT.  

So, I had to go into the browser interface for each camera and set the ARMING SCHEDULE back to what I previously had.  This has happened with previous FW upgrades also but you may not be aware of it if you don't use smart events with a non 24 x7 ARMING schedule in the CAMERA.

After I reset the arming schedule in each camera (I'm getting good at doing this as I keep a screenshot of my SMART EVENT settings LOL) I did an experiment.  I rebooted the NVR (V4 firmware is installed).  Lo and behold all 8 camera ARMING SCHEDULES go back to 24x7 continuous.  Fortunately, no change in any other camera settings such as smart event lines and zones or PTZ presets.

I mean, who would have thought camera settings would change without my permission when the NVR is upgraded or rebooted! 

(1)
(1)
DR
Dennis Ruban
Jan 25, 2018

I always do factory default after upgrade and setup as new. Just keep your configuration template and follow the list, it saves a lot of time

Ethan Ace
Jan 25, 2018

All I can say is wow. 

I would not have expected that, either, but I'm also not surprised. We've heard from other people that upgrading has defaulted settings, but I haven't seen it here. We'll confirm this one.

Jim Kirk
Jan 25, 2018

I'm interested to see if you get the same camera behavior I did.  FYI, my cameras are:

DS-2DF8336IV-AEL-PTZ(2 units)

DS-2CD4585F-IZH-Dome (3 units)

DS-2CD2342WD-I-Turret (1 unit)

DS-2DE3304W-DE-PTZ Dome (1 unit)

DS-2CD4A65F-IZH-Bullet (1 unit)

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions