Is Axis Full-Color Product Packaging Important?

Brian Rhodes
Jan 08, 2018
IPVMU Certified

Is full-color printed graphics on product boxes important to you?

I ask based on the example below:

On the left, a late-2017 (full color) Axis A1001 box, at right (a plain white box sans any graphics) early-2014 era A1001.

The products are substantially the same, but the box is different. Recently Axis rolled out redesigns of all their packaging and most carry splashy full color images and notes on the box. Until then, boxes/dunnage was pretty minimal with a few basic labels, now the boxes look like magazine ads.  I expect the cost of packaging increased during this update.

I understand this type of marketing is important in some segments (ie: consumer products), but Axis customers aren't buying these products like boxes of cereal at a grocery store.  These products are selected in advance, ordered from distributors, and buyers are not swayed by slick boxes, right?

Do you care about good looking packaging? Vote/Poll:

SR
Samuel Rodgers
Jan 09, 2018

I never understood why they bothered with the graphics on packaging as well - have never seen an Axis camera on store shelves, although it only seems to be the M series equipment that has fancy packaging, which is geared more towards small business/retail. I believe all the higher end stuff (P/Q series) we've purchased recently is still coming in the plain brown cardboard box.

Ethan Ace
Jan 09, 2018

Same here, we just got P and Q series cameras and they came in the plain brown box.

Sean Nelson
Jan 09, 2018
Nelly's Security

I do think it matters overall to the first impression that it gives the user. This is probably more effective when dealing with end users than it is integrators but i assume it does matter a little on integrators as well. 

Its all phychological and the better the box appearance and packaging, the better the appearance of quality it perceives to the buyer. Take some of the cool little electronic gadgets that you buy, some of them come in super cool packaging, it had to have an impression on you. Just think if you received a pair of beats in a boring white box wrapped up in packing paper, it would not have near the same effect as the cool  packaging that it normally comes with. 

Basically it works out for the manufacturer as well:
-Creates brand loyalty
-makes your product look higher quality
-prevents returns, the higher quality something appears, the more likely a customer will work thru the issues and not do a knee jerk reaction and return the product when something goes wrong.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Jan 09, 2018
IPVMU Certified

I would trade all the splashy packaging in the world for a simple white box with the following information in black on every side:

manufacturer name

model # 

date shipped 

po#

tech support#

(3)
(1)
SR
Samuel Rodgers
Jan 09, 2018

I recall in another thread someone pointed out a manufacturer that had the box setup where you could open up a flap and expose the network port, for easy programming at the shop while leaving everything in the box for transport out to the job site. Don't remember which manufacturer (maybe Panasonic?) but thought that was a pretty neat feature that I'd prefer over colorful packaging.

(2)
Ethan Ace
Jan 09, 2018

That's Panasonic, at the least on the Extreme series, not sure if they started doing it on others.

(1)
Lynn Harold
Jan 10, 2018

I'd also like Serial Number and MAC Address added to that list - all one side of the box so the info can be read if stacked on a shelf in my warehouse.

(2)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Jan 09, 2018

Splashy graphics on the outside of packaging still reminds me of consumer electronic goods manufactured in/for the Asian market.  When I would order samples of intercoms, cameras, etc. for testing, they'd always arrive with fancy color graphics and well laid-out box cushioning and compartments. I appreciate the level to detail given to some of the inner packaging with all of the little dividers and compartments though. In the end, the exterior color graphics still leaves me with a cheap impression of the product inside.

This was contrasted to receiving a $500 IP-based card reader controller device from a US manufacturer that came in little more than a little bubble wrap bag, often dropped into a shipping box full of styrofoam peanuts.  This used to blow my mind, especially if I had to ship the product off to an integrator or end user, since it seemed like leaving a jewelry shop with your new ring in a paper bag.  

The happy medium is a sturdy cardboard box with large, easy-to-read lettering/labels on the outside on the top and side(s), with ample packing/padding inside to suitable cushion and present the product when the box is opened.  I know once you take all of the devices out of the box at a job site in a flurry of installation activity, you look bck at the bog pile of empty, still perfect cardboard boxes and think it is wasteful, but how else can an expensive device be shipped, stored, re-shipped, and transported to job sites without proper packaging?

(1)
Brian Rhodes
Jan 09, 2018
IPVMU Certified

Here's a snapshot from an Axis AEC showing (top shelf) product boxes displayed shelf-merchandised style:

Jon Dillabaugh
Jan 09, 2018
Pro Focus LLC

I voted not important. However, I do wish that Avigilon made it a little easier to tell what the heck is inside their boxes. 

(2)
U
Undisclosed #1
Jan 11, 2018
IPVMU Certified

However, I do wish that Avigilon made it a little easier to tell what the heck is inside their boxes.

You dealin the big A these days?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Jan 11, 2018

As a distributor of AXIS they look great on a shelf (yes, we do have some on display).

It is generally only the M-series and new business products such as audio etc which get the fancy box (they actually call it that in AXIS HQ).

With AXIS constantly branching out into new markets I think it is important and it definitely generates a lot of interest from small and large installers alike - I suspect more of my customers see the box then read the email news letters.

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions