Subscriber Discussion

Camera Temperature Ratings With Or Without Wind Chill?

Jeffrey Hinckley
Jan 02, 2018

I have reports in the last couple of days regarding -40C/F rated cameras with lens focus freezing.  It has been down to -18 F the last couple of nights (up to 10 during the day) - Maine.  The cameras are rated to -40C/F.  Is the standard rating with or without wind chill.  it seems to me that wind will more quickly exchange heat from the metal enclosures of PTZ cameras (I have never seen one that was insulated), and I assume that manufacturers test this is a static non-wind environment.  The cameras reported are ds-2df8223-AEL with Hi-POE 60 watt injectors. 

JH
John Honovich
Jan 02, 2018
IPVM

Jeffrey, thanks for sharing. I literally 8 minutes ago started a discussion - Cameras Breaking Or Malfunctioning In The Cold? I am going to copy your comment there. I'll keep this discussion open to get feedback from manufacturers.

JH
John Honovich
Jan 02, 2018
IPVM

Also, we are going to email Hikvision and a few other manufacturers to ask them about how they rate temperature. It's a good question!

Regis Glorieux
Jan 02, 2018
IPX360 Solutions

Temperature test certificates for 360 Vision's Predator rugged PTZ camera range which we represent in Canada & US is quite detailed and readily available

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lhltr2mw0l3tvhj/TRA-010294-CC-01A%20Predator%20-%20Temperature.pdf?dl=0

As sales and support partner for 360 Vision in America, we also handle service and repair services and with hundreds of cameras sold over the years in some harsh and sometimes brutally cold climates (it's a balmy -26C this morning here in Montreal), we have yet to see a unit come in for service due to cold.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions