Hiring Camera Calculator Product Manager

JH
John Honovich
Dec 10, 2017
IPVM
UE
Undisclosed End User #1
Dec 12, 2017

Heart set on an integrator?  I would think many of the end users on IPVM (myself included) have years of experience designing systems and also have the customer point of view experience that an integrator might lack.  Having the design experience, the experience working with numerous integrators around the world and having that client side perspective seems like it would be very beneficial for a position such as this.

Even though posting this as undisclosed...... I am totally asking for a friend, I swear boss.  

(1)
(2)
Brian Karas
Dec 12, 2017
IPVM

Heart set on an integrator?

No, as long as you have a variety of design experience (indoor layouts, outdoor layouts, use of multi-imagers, etc.), plus the other related skills to be successful in the job you are welcome to apply.

Applications will be kept confidential.

U
Undisclosed #2
Dec 13, 2017

As an OG IPVM member who has fond memories of the original camera calculator (anyone could use it easily and see it's value), I hope that whomever gets the new job has the ability to explain it's use - in it's current form - to both experts and the novice and/or neophyte.

In it's original form, it was very easy to just pick up and use - even without any real training.  As the tool has become more powerful and adaptive, there is a natural drop off to it's original intuitiveness.

Compared to other option on the market, this is a very powerful tool.... I just hope the new guy/girl has the ability to help make it as easy to use as the original camera calculator was.

(1)
JH
John Honovich
Dec 13, 2017
IPVM

Good feedback. It won't every be as easy to use as it originally was. This is the 2014 version with just one camera, no google, no models, no projects, etc.

Part of the goal to having a dedicated manager is to help find ways to make the software easier to use and also to help teach people how to use it.

We certainly plan on adding more features, so it will get both more complex and more powerful. At the same time, we want to make sure people are getting the most out of it, so a dedicated manager would be quite helpful to that end.

U
Undisclosed #2
Dec 13, 2017

I'm curious if you are thinking of ways to monetize the camera calculator?

Since you are hiring a person dedicated to just the camera calculator, I'm wondering if you see future revenue streams tied to the new position (and tool).

I'm not trying to pry into the IPVM business plan, I'm just wondering if this is just IPVM beefing up it's individual components or if you see the camera calculator itself as a potential profit center?

JH
John Honovich
Dec 14, 2017
IPVM

The Calculator has been a phenomenon on its own. Lots of people use it, lots of people sign up specifically to use it. Since we sell everything as one 'bundle', I can't tell exactly the breakdown but it's clearly very popular.

Generally, I see a strong calculator being an important element of growing membership and keeping members satisfied. Moreover, it helps balance us so IPVM is not as dependent on reporting.

I am not particularly worried about money in any one area, I am more concerned about usage and satisfaction (which if that occurs, I have confidence will take care of money). Also, because we do well overall financially, we can invest in the Calculator.

The Calculator, even with only intermittent public interaction (but constant development) has done very well. Because of that, I am confident that combining our ongoing development with a dedicated calculator manager will make it even more useful to industry people.

(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #3
Dec 15, 2017

HEADLINE: IPVM CAMERA CALCULATOR PRODUCT MANAGER OUT! 

Join us as we delve into glassdoor reviews, speculate about what this signals for the future of the company and pose questions about the camera calculator market overall. Are integrators returning to pen and paper calculations? Is Hikvision to blame? 

;)

(4)
(4)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions