Subscriber Discussion

Network Certification - Comptia Or Cisco?

UD
Undisclosed Distributor #1
Nov 07, 2017

Hi all.

For the IP video surveillance we need a  knowledge about the Network , so is it better to do a certification from CompTIA or cisco  CCENT . Because i do not want myself  to restrict only upto configuring IP camera .

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Nov 07, 2017

Definitely not CompTIA Network+.  I have it and it's rubbish - too broad.  Cisco CCENT might be a bit basic but a much better path.

John Scanlan
Nov 07, 2017
IPVM • IPVMU Certified

U1 - I had the same exact decision to make a couple of years ago.  I chose to go with Cisco.

The CCENT is arguably equivalent to the Network + with regards to difficulty and how well respected it is. After you obtain the CCENT you are have half way to the CCNA, an even more respected certification.

I decided to study on my own and then invest in an 8 day boot camp. That was a big investment for me; studying beforehand, a few thousand dollars, time away from family with young kids, and at the time it also meant 8 days without pay. 

At the end of the training I obtained:

• Cisco CCENT
  • Cisco CCNA Routing & Switching
  • Cisco CCNA Security
  • 4011 Training Recognition from the NSA and CNSS

My position here does not use most of the material covered on those exams. I got this job, in part, due to demonstrating my dedication to my professional development & my ability to pass all of those exams in the same week.

I hope this helps.

(5)
UD
Undisclosed Distributor #1
Nov 07, 2017

hi ,

thanks for your suggestion. Could you guide me how to prepare for this exam . Which author books i need to buy and so on .

John Scanlan
Nov 07, 2017
IPVM • IPVMU Certified

I used the Cisco Press books to prepare myself for the bootcamp, and then used the bookcamp courseware to study for the exams.

(1)
Josh Hendricks
Nov 07, 2017
Milestone Systems

Years ago I went through a great course via PSU in Portland where I spent every other weekend for six months in class going through A+, Network+, Security+, CCNA and MCP. I had other things going on at the time and ended up procrastinating on taking the CCNA, and by the time I was ready, I had forgotten a lot of the Cisco-specific information (CLI commands and such). I developed the knowledge though and since I rarely find myself working with Cisco equipment I'm happy with that. I did take the CompTIA certifications though.

If you take a course on networking, you will go more in depth into subnetting, and routing concepts and protocols if you go the Cisco route. If you're anything like me, you are likely to forget a lot of the Cisco-specific information unless you use it, but the universal concepts will leave an impression.

My only other recommendation is that you pursue the certification(s) to acquire the knowledge and not the other way around. I have interviewed many folks with CCNA and Network+ certs who were unable to impress me with their networking skills, and I have interviewed folks without any certifications at all who put me to shame.

(1)
DR
Dennis Ruban
Nov 08, 2017

I vote for ccna. It's simple, so you don't need any special expensive courses and it gives you enough knowledge to configure any ip cctv system. I'd say it should be mandatory for security techs these days

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #3
Nov 13, 2017

Cisco has more recognition in the industry and when dealing with other IT departments. Just don't swallow the Cisco koolaid and hype. It's not the only game in town and not necessarily the best.

FM
Frantz Mathias
Nov 13, 2017

Hi

Allow me to recall the past.. back in the days, it used to be that no one got fired for recommending IBM .. My oh My! how times have changed...  Cisco is the IBM of its times... Everyone seems to require a CCNA or more... While Cisco is indeed great those classes are VERY Cisco specific: They're networking according to Cisco not neutral., fundamental networking. The world is slowly but surely moving in a different, not Cisco-centric direction. Knowing networking fundamentally is the way to go. I vote comp TIA over CCxx ..

(2)
(2)
Fabian Muyawa
Nov 14, 2017
LONTECH SYSTEMS • IPVMU Certified

I believe the Comptia and Cisco are IT professional certification therefore, CCNA or Comptia Network+ should be a good fundamentals for Integrated Security solution.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions