Subscriber Discussion

Milestone VMS Integration With Hikvision NVRs

DR
Dennis Ruban
Nov 05, 2017

Again, I was looking for a solution as I'm really tired of using that primitive and glitchy ivms-4200. I've found this document:How to add Hikvision NVR into Milestone by universal driver

It looks like you can use their NVR as a simple 16-channel encoder but you will not be able to pull recordings. I'm not sure about PTZ control and getting a second stream for the multi-cameras views. The benefit is using only one Milestone license per 16 cameras, it's definitely worth it as 16-port NVR you can find for $500 or even less. High-level license cost like $100+ per camera, if I'm not mistaken.

So, I have two questions:

1. Does anyone know how to fully integrate NVR's and Milestone? I don't really want to use expensive data arrays (I have hundreds of cameras now and we're expanding our CCTV network, in several years there will be thousands)  as I can have distributed and cheap Hik solution.

2. If somebody used their new Hik Central, I'd appreciate some comments on the functionality. How good is UI design of the client application, is it crashing same often as ivms-4200. Compared to Milestone, how good is the search feature? - that is a real disaster in 4200.

(3)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #1
Nov 05, 2017

You have chosen a cheap brand and now your are disappointed with the solution? You get what you paid for comes to mind. If you keep looking for the cheapest way out you are going to keep running in to the same issues. Choose a reputable front end that accepts Hik cameras like Milestone or Avigilon and have some peace of mind.

(1)
(4)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Nov 05, 2017

2. If somebody used their new Hik Central, I'd appreciate some comments on the functionality. How good is UI design of the client application, is it crashing same often as ivms-4200. Compared to Milestone, how good is the search feature? - that is a real disaster in 4200.

I have used it, make no mistake it is night and day different than iVMS-4200. It is built as a CMS that drives HIKVISION network recorders, decoders, etc. It is a very strong, well built, well designed piece of software. Dont pay any attention to anyone that makes assumptions based on innuendo because very few Integrators in the USA have installed this system, I was lucky and glad I did choose it. I have (1) installation with 100+ 5mp Cameras, 180 degree stitchers, 4k P T Z Cameras, 12mp 360 fisheyes, (6) Recorders, 16+ 4k Monitors all running on Hik-Central. So I have pushed this and it has never failed me. I have (2) more systems in development and Hikvision is supporting me all the way. Dont waste your time with 3rd party VMS. Dont waste time with ADI or other distributor counter folks, go to your local RSM and explain your system, if it is of enterprise level, Hikvision can and will help with Local support technical staff.

This system has an easy to understand GUI and super easy to search for video. The enterprise team will be happy to work with you. I  bet that you will be contacted once this is reviewed.

(3)
(1)
DR
Dennis Ruban
Nov 06, 2017

Thank you for your reply! Does Central have access control module? I'm thinking about using Hik as it looks not expensive and well built.

It's weird Hikvision doesn't provide any information regarding Central. We even had teo guys from Hik visiting our office but they didn't give me any advertisement or demo-version. It looks like a secret product for chosen ones :)

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Nov 06, 2017

I am using Hik Central right now, it is much better than IVMS software. Very fast, doesn't crash. Not as good as Genetec or Milestone but very good never the less. I am controlling multiple NVRs, DVRs and hybrids. Search is much better as well.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #4
May 27, 2018

Is it possible to contact you directly?

I, also , am interested. We can huff and puff and go all anti-Hikvision all we want the reality is that an NVR solve many issues. The main one being that of stability: They don't break as a Windows machine.. They are a made-for-the-purpose appliance and perform their main task which is to record "things' and well and consistently well. At least in my experience where I have over 100 of these installed in systems with on average 50 cameras per NVR. My issue remains one in which I would like to have the GUI, Client and user control of a serious VMS. I don't mind keeping the recordings onsite in the NVR... I do care about central management of views, devices and users ... The iVMS 4200 can't do it ... usual VMS such as Milestone work with some Hik NVR but not all and are limited in most cases to 16 channels plus I believe they tend to see the NVR as a decoder, not what I need or want ...

So I would be interested in what the Hkcentral is all about and need to hear from those who have experienced it ...

Should I open a thread on this or does this one suffice? :)

DR
Dennis Ruban
May 27, 2018

I use it now, started with V1.1.1 and just recently upgraded to V1.2

ask you questions, I’ll try to help

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Nov 06, 2017

They have access control and a nice Intercom package that integrates with the Hik-Central package. Talk to your RSM. If you have any issues contacting someone that satisfies your need let me know, I can help.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions