Subscriber Discussion

I Need CARD+PIN Function, How Does It Work?

sS
sundar Subramanian
Oct 30, 2017

ROSSLARE (AYC-G60) reader supports both (pin and RFID) credential.

While connecting it to EAC panel over wiegand...it work fine for "Only CARD" and "Only PIN".

Now, we want to use "CARD+PIN" in same setup. But, how does it work?

can we need to program something in reader  or it is functionality of EAC controller ?

Please make me understood same.

thank you.

Brian Rhodes
Oct 30, 2017
IPVMU Certified

The reader is just an input peripheral.

The controller is responsible for gathering multiple inputs to the access system, and the access system itself needs to support the inputs as Multi-Factor Authentication.  The reader alone does not do this, only supports it when available.

Which access system is being used?

sS
sundar Subramanian
Oct 31, 2017

Hi Brian,

Thanks for your reply.

My Access control system is very simple (Local brand) which i guess doesn't have special functionality except normal wiegand interface with CARD and pin data verification.

In reader manual, it mention about "card+pin" function mode over wiegand. So, reader itself collect CARD and PIN inputs and then sends to controller over wiegand. 

Do we still need controller to be support something specifically for this mode (card+pin) ?

The reader manual at below link:

http://maglocks.com/datasheet/Rosslare/AYC-F%20G%20M60%20Family%20Manual-3.pdf

what is industry standard practice for AC systems (i..e reader and access system) for CARD+PIN mode function between wiegand based reader and Access system ? Any standard communication method avaialble for interoperability between any two ?

Brian Rhodes
Nov 02, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Do we still need controller to be support something specifically for this mode (card+pin) ?

Yes, your access system needs to support Card+PIN dual authentication in order for this to work.  The reader alone may support it, as yours claims, but it does not give this feature to a system not supporting it.

Any standard communication method avaialble for interoperability between any two ?

For readers, Wiegand IS an example of a standard between the two.  Other examples are clock & data, and OSDP, although both reader and controller must mutually support the format for it to be an option.

sS
sundar Subramanian
Nov 03, 2017

Any standard communication method avaialble for interoperability between any two ?

For readers, Wiegand IS an example of a standard between the two. Other examples are clock & data, and OSDP, although both reader and controller must mutually support the format for it to be an option.

Here standard communication means any standard format exchange between reader and controller for CARD+PIN in wiegand only. because Rosslare, HID etc making wiegand reader which supports CARD+PIN and are they all following some specific format to communiate with controller or individual brand have their own data format for card+pin over wiegand ?

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Nov 03, 2017

I read the manual and was confused.  It appears if you use the Rosslare method, which would indicate a Rosslare controller, you can do Card + Pin.  However, other than the built in user PINs it doesn’t explain beyond that.

This is a HID support question.  

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions