Subscriber Discussion

Hikvision NVR Time Settings

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Oct 28, 2017

WTF is with Hikvision's worthless time settings on their cameras and NVRs? No matter what I do nearly all of the cameras I have on one particular NVR refuse to keep the time I give them. They always display the correct time for a couple of minutes and then promptly revert to being an hour or two (or sometimes even MORE frustratingly an hour and a HALF) ahead or behind.

I've tried using NTP and that doesn't work. I've tried syncing with computer time that doesn't work. DST settings are ON with a 60 minute bias and I suspect this might be the problem but the client does not want to have to log in twice a year and change every camera's time settings which are completely independent of the DVR.

If anyone has some suggestions on how to fix this I would be most grateful. Luckily this is only a 6 camera deployment.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Oct 28, 2017

This might help.  You may need to see what the time settings in the IP cameras are.  I’m not a HIKVISION guy.

http://www.hikvisionforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=450

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Oct 28, 2017

Thanks, looks like it echos what I'm discovering about DST settings on Hik equipment - it is a major PITA. Seems whenever you have DST enabled it always gives you improper time settings. I've turned it off on all cameras and it seems to be ok now but the client will not be happy having to change it twice a year.

I can't imagine this is how it works on larger deployments. Has anyone else found a solution for the improper DST time shifts?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Oct 28, 2017

Again, I’ve never installed a HIK product or OEM but some things are shared across Manufacturer’s. 

I believe you should have NTP and DST turned on at the recorder level if available. The recorder can sync to the NTP time server at a scheduled interval.  I would think every 30 to 60 minutes should do. 

The cameras should sync to the NVR either through the native driver (make sure your versions match) or ONVIF depending on how you added them. 

Whether or not you can leave DST on, or have to go into each camera and set the NTP server is a HIK support question. 

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Oct 29, 2017

I had some problem with the Hikvision time settings as well.  But, after some trial and error, I have it pretty close to what I want. Using their NVR with 6 Hik cameras, I used only the Time Settings in the NVR, and did not bother with the camera time settings. 

I'm using the NTP. 

Server Address:  nist-a.gov

NTP Port: 123

Interval: 5

DST Enabled.

But, with these settings I found that some of my cameras were not synchronizing to the second, and were off between 15 - 30 seconds.  I went to the NVR Configuration, System Settings, Time Settings, and enabled Manual Settings, checked the box for Synchronize with Computer Time, Saved, waited for the NVR to adjust, then went back, deselected the Manual Time Settings, re-enabling the NTP.  All camera time displays are now synchronized to the second. 

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions