Subscriber Discussion

Does The Focal Length F (Lens Length) Depend Only On The Physical Characteristics Of The Lens?

IS
Ibrahima Sene
Oct 11, 2017
IPVMU Certified

IS
Ibrahima Sene
Oct 11, 2017
IPVMU Certified

to be more specific, does it depend on the lens and the imager (distance between lens and imager? or does the incoming parallel rays always converge at the position of the imager (whatever this position is)?

Dv
Danny van der Pol
Oct 11, 2017
IPVMU Certified

The focal length is the distance between the lens glass (internal) and the image sensor. The focal length is not equal to the lens length (housing). With a fixed focal lens the focal length only depends on the physical characteristics of the lens. With a varifocal lens the focal length depends on the adjustment of the lens. The range of the focal length depends on the physical characteristics of the lens.

The beams do not converge at the position of the image sensor but internal in the lens. If I am correct the focal length is the distance between this converging point and the image sensor.

I found a pic: lens cross section

I was unable to upload so I included the link.

(1)
IS
Ibrahima Sene
Oct 11, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Thanks for the information.

When I compare your picture and the one in page 2 of class#1 document (see below) then it seems to me that:

- the sensor can be positioned at or after the convergence point. The sensor cannot be positioned before the convergence point;

- the convergence point can be, in some cases, within the lens. In these cases we have "focal length= (distance between sensor and point of convergence)= (distance between sensor and lens)

Please let me know if these two points are correct or not.

(1)
Brian Rhodes
Oct 11, 2017
IPVMU Certified

- the sensor can be positioned at or after the convergence point. The sensor cannot be positioned before the convergence point;

- the convergence point can be, in some cases, within the lens. In these cases we have "focal length= (distance between sensor and point of convergence)= (distance between sensor and lens)

Both of these points are correct.

The image in class is used to illustrate concepts and is not an engineering schematic.

KK
Kelly Koshman
Oct 11, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Its between the imager and the glass lens, not the physical characteristics of the lens..

Khalil Azar
Oct 11, 2017
IPVMU Certified

No, it depends on the distance between the lens and the imager sensor

(1)
WJ
Walid Jabr
Oct 13, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Camera with a shorter focal length has greater optical power than one with a long focal length. It is the distance between the lens and the sensor. 

(1)
FO
Fardeen Osmani
Oct 18, 2017
IPVMU Certified

No, not just the physical characteristics it depends on placement of the lens.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions