Subscriber Discussion

I/O Over LAN

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #1
Sep 27, 2017

I/O's are the simplest form of integration between devices and systems. For example, a PIR motion detector tied to an alarm panel or VMS or EACS system. But that's so 20th century. Here in the 21st century we're trying to leverage the power of the Ethernet network, wired and wireless.

How often do you find you need to pass I/O over a network and if so, what do you usually use?

UM
Sep 27, 2017

It's rare we've even been forced to do this. We've used these devices WebRelay by ControlByWeb before and they worked well.

WebRelay

In that application it was not two WebRelay's working together, which if can do, but a custom software integration that used the XML commands over TCPIP.

MM
Michael Miller
Sep 27, 2017

WebRelay works really well.  Great product. 

(2)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #4
Oct 02, 2017

I'll throw out another positive review for the Control By Web products. Great product, even better company (tech support, sales etc.) Use a variety of their products on campuses for gate operation, outdoor lighting control, alarm relaying etc. They work peer to peer which is pretty much bullet proof and also can integrate with many other controllers quite easily through standard protocols.

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #2
Sep 27, 2017

I have used these for many years. Some menufacturers Vms directly integrate with these.

Advantech Adam ether etc I/o devices

http://www.advantech.com/products/ethernet-i-o-modules-adam-6000-adam-6100-adam-6200-wise-4000-lan/sub_gf-5197

(5)
(1)
Kyle Folger
Sep 27, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I like the Axis I/O devices. I have used the WebRelay devices as well. While they work well functionally they are pretty insecure devices. I don’t believe they support SSL web pages.

(2)
MM
Michael Miller
Oct 01, 2017

The WebRelay is a dedicated device and does not employ a general purpose computer operating system (i.e. Windows, Linux etc.) It does not have features such as telnet, FTP, SSH, nor uncontrolled open ports. This means it is extremely difficult if not impossible for someone to ‘break in’ to the WebRelay and access other devices on your local network. WebRelay does not support remote firmware updates which means that it is not possible for someone to remotely install malicious software. The simplicity of the WebRelay makes it an inherently secure device. Nevertheless, as with any device installed on a network, appropriate security precautions should be observed.

Also, looks like they support HTTPS too. 

(3)
Kyle Folger
Oct 02, 2017
IPVMU Certified

And the next paragraph:

It is recommended that passwords be enabled for the Control Page and Setup Pages. Passwords should be at least 8 characters in length and use a combination of upper and lower case letters and numbers. For additional security, a firewall may be used to limit access to selected IP addresses. Another option may be to set up a Virtual Private Network (VPN) between the network where WebRelay resides and the client machine (web browser, second WebRelay, etc.).

You found one of their devices that is around $395.00 and supports:

Protocols: HTTP, HTTPS, SSL, SMTP, Modbus TCP/IP, Remote Services server and client

While almost all of their other devices are much less and support:

Protocols:HTTP, XML, Modbus TCP/IP

The two devices I have on hand and am looking at right now that didn't get used for a project are the X-DAQ-5I-I and X-WR-4R3-E. Both of these devices do not support HTTPS and don't support SSL. When I say insecure devices, I really mean local on the network. I wasn't referring to hacking remotely or them phoning home. I was referring to someone being between the devices and getting the password or hacking the device to open a gate. These devices can be used in a lot of scenarios to act as a remote switch. If that is used to open a gate, someone COULD be on the network, get into the device and open the gate.

The 2nd paragraph is important because they are suggesting what should be done to restrict network access to the Control By Web devices. Often times these things are not done and the majority of their devices do not have very high security.

Comparing one of these units to the Axis P8221, the Axis is much more securely built. That said, I still think Control by Web has some nice and useful products, but most of them need to have security measures in place when putting them on the network or controlling them over the Internet.

(4)
MM
Michael Miller
Oct 02, 2017

Great info thank you!

U
Undisclosed #3
Sep 27, 2017

Adams, Schneider, Allen Bradley, Moxa, Blackbox and Rasberry.

I/O nerds go here:www.control.com

(1)
AS
ANDREW S CHALSON
Sep 28, 2017

The Remkon edge I/O is a great product. We've used successfully for a few years. 

(1)
UM
Sep 28, 2017

Anyone know offhand if any of these or another brand that is capable of sending and receiving ASCII text over TCPIP. I can check myself but thought I'd ask if anyone happened to know for sure already.

AD
Andrew Del Biondo
Oct 01, 2017

Barix Barionet 50 Automation Controller

(1)
(1)
U
Undisclosed
Oct 02, 2017
Please pick one that does TLS or SSH or something secure. And please make sure it really does it right because some punk (or an astute IPVM reader) is going to check to confirm you can't spoof the other end. And don't buy one with a back door in it, or hard-coded passwords, because the hackers will pop that too. No, I don't think these are onerous requirements as long as you buy industrial grade gear.
TM
Todd McNutt
Oct 02, 2017

They are not cheap, but I've had 0 issues/failures when we use dataprobe iPIO transport contact closures.  They have a 2-port, 8-port and 16-port model.

http://dataprobe.com/ipio-ethernet-io/

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #5
Oct 02, 2017

My brother uses a TON of Allen Bradley gear and seems to prefer it.  He is a controls guy working for a large conveyor company.  Moxa is ummmm, odd. 

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #2
Oct 02, 2017

Arteco also has an interface unit called the Arteco Everywhere 2.0.

https://www.arteco-global.com/en/building-automation/arteco-everywhere-2-0/

(1)
(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions