SAY THE MOST IMPORTANT THING FIRST!

JH
John Honovich
Aug 13, 2013
IPVM

You all have to take this to heart.

We have a horrible tendency to speak in chronological or step by step order, which is AWFUL for the Internet. You are forcing people to wade through minutes of uninteresting / secondary issues to get to the most impactful parts.

We bury ledes consistently. We talk about how we sit around or have fun or whatever in daily status reports. We do videos that start with minutiae rather than key findings.

Figure out what is most interesting and say that first. After you are done with that, you can shower them with random details.

Understood?

JH
John Honovich
Aug 13, 2013
IPVM

Here's an example from the VA FRP draft.

We have this amazing point about them including VCRs in the spec but we don't mention it until paragraph 5 and after 2 generic images of the camera layout.

Why? Why would we bury such a critical point?

Other equally amazing points are buried even further / later including the requirement of IE 5.5.

Ask yourself, "What is the most important / insightful / eye opening point?" Then PUT THAT FIRST.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Aug 13, 2013

Will do.

SW
Sarit Williams
Aug 13, 2013

Grocke- lol!!

JG
John Grocke
Aug 13, 2013

Sorry, fat fingered the reply on my iPad. I didn't mean to hide my name.

JH
John Honovich
Aug 13, 2013
IPVM

YOU'RE A GOLD MINER

The problem is most of you think you are court reporters who dutifully right down everything they do in chronological order (hi Derek!)

When you are researching, most of the time is sifting through slop and trying things out. Every once in a while you hit gold (something so interesting and important, that it impacts our members).

When you hit gold, you tell people, "I HIT GOLD". You don't say, "first i had breakfast, then i picked up shovel, then i got my overalls dirty, blah, blah, blah" buring the gold inside. You say that immediately.

Do the same with your posts. Find the gold and show it.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions