Subscriber Discussion

How Do You Present Monitoring Contracts To Residential Clients?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Sep 15, 2017

We recently received several forms from Kirschenbaum and was wondering how do others present these? Do you get these printed in triplicate? Do you use some form of electronic documents on an ipad?

We are trying to figure out how make the sales and contract process a smooth transaction. 

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Sep 17, 2017

I use Ken's contracts too and I made a template in Word, fill in the data on my pc and print out two copies, one of the copies I water mark "Buyer's Copy."  Then I take the prepared contracts to the buyer for signature. I sign both copies and the buyer signs both copies. I keep the copy without the watermark and the buyer is left with their copy.

I had contracts printed in duplicate on NCR paper in the past, but they needed to be completed by hand, and correcting mistakes or altering terms was messy. 

(1)
UI
Sep 17, 2017

What is your sales process? Do you visit the client, discuss the system, sell it and have the contract prepared already? Or do you sell the system on one visit, and bring the contract on a return trip?

We are trying to do the sale and contract on one visit.

Thanks

UI
Sep 17, 2017

Today, I work through referral only, do not advertise or have a website. I had a telephone ad/listing years ago and it was too much of a hassle with people looking for free systems or the absolute lowest price. Now, if someone calls me they have some type of a connection with an existing customer and that works well for me. I don't want to waste my time quoting jobs that are likely not going to happen.

When I get a call from a potential customer I try to screen the job over the phone. Monitoring of the alarm is required if you want me to install or repair. I don't install or repair local (bell only) systems. In addition to state licensing, I make sure I have a business license on file with the jurisdiction where the customer is located.  If not, I'll pass on the job and suggest the customer look elsewhere.  I refuse to do work in certain jurisdictions due to the outrageous cost of their business license.  Sometimes the distance is a deal breaker, I don't install or takeover systems that are more than an hour away.

I try to give a wide range of cost over the phone, but reinforce to the customer that it is not a definite or accurate price because I've not seen the job site. You don't know what type of job you're dealing with until you go look. In many instances, this will save you from wasting your time as the customer may have an unrealistic idea of cost.  I let them know on the phone, before I go out, what to expect about my process of quoting, contract signing and starting work.

I visit the site and do an assessment, but do not quote the job on that visit. Some people want to know a "ball park figure" and I give them a wide price range, but nothing definitive at that time. This is usually discussed on the first phone call (see above paragraph).  I never try to do a quote on the spot as I've found that putting some time between the visit to the job site and the completion of the quote will give me time to prepare something fair for both the customer and myself.  Preparing a quote on the spot will likely cause you to overlook something which might cost you time and material.

I get an email address from the customer and email a quote. If they choose to have me do the job, I prepare the contract and all the other required documents (3 day notice, etc.), with a projected start and completion date on the contract.  I return to the customer's home for signatures and this allows another look at where devices are to be located.  I start work on, or shortly after, the date specified in the contract, which corresponds to the date listed in the 3 day notice.

This process works for my business model, it may not work for you or others.

(1)
UI
Sep 17, 2017

Also, for residential, I have a Notice of Cancellation, (3 Day FTC Cooling Off Period) which is printed in triplicate on NCR paper. I fill in the necessary data by hand and have the buyer sign the acknowledgement receipt. I keep the top original and the buyer keeps the two bottom copies. I have the buyer sign this form when they sign the contracts. This form accompanied my contract order from Kirschenbaum.

i have a separate page with my insurance company listed as well as my worker's comp policy information, which I provide to the buyer. 

In California we are required to use a separate acknowledgement, which the buyer must sign, if the contract term is longer than a month. I don't use this form because my terms are month to month. You should check your state's requirements for residential contracts, there may be requirements like certain font size, term length restrictions and additional acknowledgements the buyer must sign.

(1)
UI
Sep 17, 2017

We had our local lawyer review the contract to make sure everything was in line with state law, and he made a couple tweaks, which I think was more of a preference thing. He thought the contracts were well drafted.

I do not think there is a way around the 3 day cancellation notice electronically. We will have to have 3 hard copies one way or another.

UI
Sep 17, 2017

You might search Ken Kirschenbaum's website about the 3 day notice for residential customers being handled electronically,  I think that question has been asked and answered there.   I always use the triplicate form when dealing with the 3 day notice.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions