Want To Buy Cameras That Are 'Tested Not Working'?

JH
John Honovich
Sep 10, 2017
IPVM

Take a look:

Direct Liquidation link to 10pcs offer.

Curious to see who is interested in such an offer? Are there people / companies out there that gamble that they can quickly repair such cameras and then resell them? Use them for parts?? What's the tactic here?

Hat tip Marty Major.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Sep 10, 2017

B and C stock auction.  If I needed one and the starting bid was $1.00 I might consider.  At $154.00 there is no way. 

JH
John Honovich
Sep 10, 2017
IPVM

If I needed one and the starting bid was $1.00 I might consider

So if you 'needed' something that was not working? I am confused. When would you need something that does not 'work'? Or are you implying that you would take a shot at spending the time to fix it was $1?

Marty Major
Sep 11, 2017
Teledyne FLIR

What fascinates me is that Walmart 'performs a technical functionality and/or physical condition test' - and then stops there...if it doesn't work, it goes in the liquidation bin to be sold off in parcels.

i.e. this stuff isn't worth the time and $$ to troubleshoot/fix - they make more money selling it off in piles of broken stuff.

I wonder how many of these lots of dead surveillance equipment roll out of Bentonville ever year.

I also wonder who would buy this kind of stuff and why.

U
Undisclosed #2
Sep 11, 2017
IPVMU Certified

10 extremely realistic dummy cams for $15 a throw is not a bad deal, plus a hard-to-find dummy DVR.

Anything that works after that is gravy ;)

(1)
U
Undisclosed #2
Sep 11, 2017
IPVMU Certified

On second thought, though I think this is a total waste of time for a non-slammer integrator, I would say it's a fair deal for somebody with a modicum of electronic device savvyness and computer competence (as a user).

Why?  Because these are kits, with multiple units, are all the cameras and DVR likely to be bad?  Good chance only one device doesn't work, if it's the DVR sucks, but it's probably the power supply or the hard drive, in that order.

The bigger the kit, the better the odds.

Then there's the possibility that nothing is wrong with anything, and that an incompetent user screwed up the config and returned it, and the only slightly more compentent tester couldn't set it right.

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #3
Sep 11, 2017

My guess is that many of them are missing a power cable or a cable was cut or missing and accessory, but may be working besides that. I personally wouldn't waste $150 on this, but if it was much lower would possibly. You never know... The manufacturer warranty may still be in effect via serial number a d you could get them fixed or repaired just by spending some time...

If it was $25 or 50, sure I would spend some mad money. Anything truly trashed could go to a maker fair or school destruction derby so the kids can take a look at the insides of current tech vs the ancient dinosaurs I usually still have laying around. 

Marty Major
Sep 11, 2017
Teledyne FLIR

I just noticed that right below the pic there is a 'Download Manifest' link that shows each item in an Excel spreadsheet.  This is what you get in that lot:

I agree that what you suggest would be a good idea on the micro level - i.e. a specific lot could (and probably would) return some value.

But at the macro level, Walmart has almost 5000 stores in the US alone - so they must liquidate a metric assload of this cheap gear.... especially if they don't test anything beyond immediate functionality.

Marty Major
Sep 11, 2017
Teledyne FLIR

Quick Google search - same joint:

27 pcs - no bidders

17 pcs - no bidders

12 Pallets! (880 pcs) - 1 bidder ($10K+) reserve price not met 

Sean Nelson
Sep 11, 2017
Nelly's Security

You could take the risk and assume that the tester didnt know what they were doing. My first business was "Nelly's Surplus", We used to buy and sell liquidation stuff from Amazon and Walmart.Com. This happened all the time, more stuff worked than not. Then we would go on fleabay and auction it off for a profit. Those were the days when ebay was still fun.

(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #4
Sep 11, 2017

It's a bet against the IT-Knowhow of the selling guy. In most cases you have a good chance to make some profit ☺️

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions