Subscriber Discussion

How To Minimize False Alarms From Insects At Night?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Aug 28, 2017

Does anyone know of a "trick" to reduce/eliminate excessive alarms at night when monitoring with IP/IR cameras?  Problem we run into is setting the sensitivities to eliminate them also eliminates detection of things we want to be notified of.  We've used HikVision, Mobotix, Axis and Bosch - all have same issue.  Some do a slightly better job than others (Mobotix performed best) but we've seriously considered adding a bug zapper at the camera site its so bad sometimes.  Any suggestions would be appreciated :)

Brian Rhodes
Aug 28, 2017
IPVMU Certified

In some cases, using non-integrated IR (ie: external illumination) can make a big difference.  Instead of insects swarming immediately in front of the camera, they clump around another light source farther away/ and can be masked or fall under a lesser sensitivity and the nuisance is diminished.

(4)
(2)
JH
John Honovich
Aug 28, 2017
IPVM

#1, unfortunately, it is pretty common across most camera manufacturers. 

I agree with the description of tradeoffs when adjusting sensitivity.

You might want to consider adding exclusion or inclusion zones to limit where the alarms are triggered, though that is not a cure all since many times the area where you need to alarm has issues with bugs or shadows or digital noise, etc.

You might consider adding external PIR detectors and connecting them to cameras that support alarm inputs.

Axis has new VMD (v4). Have you tried that? They say it is better than previous version, but how good we do not know since we have not tested them.

Avigilon has strong outdoor video analytics.

Just a few thoughts.

(1)
(2)
UI
Aug 28, 2017

We have not tried the new Axis VMD - thanks for that info, we'll look into it.  The PIR solution won't work for our particular application (too long a story to explain why) but appreciate that thought as well.  

UI
Aug 28, 2017

Thanks, we do put external IR on most of these projects however, they are an expensive option when considering cost of the light plus additional power in a solar application. Our IR's, when we use them, are long range, narrow fov for specific cameras watching a long perimeter.  If we also have to put external IR on the system for the shorter range cameras we increase cost of the system quite a bit.  I was hoping for a less costly trick.

U
Undisclosed #2
Aug 28, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Although I have no direct experience with the issue at hand, I believe that there is good reason to believe that "covert IR" operating at 940nm wavelength may attract less insects than the typical 850nm offerings.  

Why?

An admittedly quick review of studies of insects an their response to different wavelengths light show a clear decrease in attraction starting from the shortest wavelengths in ultra-violet thru the visible and into the IR.  This is why bug-zappers typically use UV attractors instead of IR.

Your use of a bug-zapper as a decoy is logical then.

Since these are less common IR models, they could be harder to find and pricier, though I see Dahua just added a couple of PTZs with 940 IR, perhaps there are some in the fixed line extant or on the way?*

How much a drop in sensitivity in longer wavelengths of IR will translate to less false alarms, I'm not sure.

Perhaps worthy of an IPVM test?  Or a new field in camera finder for wavelength? :)

(2)
JH
John Honovich
Aug 28, 2017
IPVM

Maybe a new field if this becomes more of a trend but there are very few 940nm IR cameras today so not yet. Same for a test but if one of the major manufacturers release a 940nm IR fixed camera with moderate range (at least 30m) may considered testing.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #2
Aug 28, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Same for a test but if one of the major manufacturers release a 940nm IR fixed camera with moderate range (at least 30m) may considered testing

Did you say 30 meters or 30 feet? ;)

Excluding Bosch > $1000 cameras, and the lesser known manufacturers does leave few options.  Vivotek's new dome the md8565might be worth a look.  You reviewed the shorter-range invisible ir model here.

Axis has a suicide camera as well, but it's corner mount for indoors, where bugs hopefully are not a problem.

JH
John Honovich
Aug 28, 2017
IPVM

Vivotek's new dome the md8565, might be worth a look

The 10m IR specification of that camera is really short, especially if the idea is doing even moderate outdoor detection. And I understand the technical / distance tradeoffs of using 940nm vs 9850nm but 10m is pretty restricted.

U
Undisclosed #2
Aug 29, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Agreed, restricted.

You may remember from the illuminating discussion, Lambert vs. Lambert (2015)the reduced efficiency of the 940nm wavelength compared to 850nm, which is at least partly to blame for the dearth of comparable products.

UI
Sep 01, 2017

Sorry, 30 feet :)  I'll look at Vivotek as well, thanks for the info.

U
Undisclosed #2
Sep 02, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Cheap way to test this theory in the abstract, for $15 bucks:

Claims 32 ft 940nm outdoor IR.  

Btw, not suggesting this camera be used for anything but bug testing, but it's existence is interesting.

Ironically, although the main selling point of 940nm is its invisibility to humans, which makes it harder for bad guys to spot, if someone does see the camera, the lack of a glow might make them think it's a dummy.  

The Swan brand in that case would be more incriminating than convincing ;)

UI
Aug 28, 2017

Hey thanks - this has possibilities.  I'll look into the 940 IR's.  Also, your validation of our bug zapper idea was helpful too.  Maybe we can sell it as a "bonus" feature of our system since some of those things advertise they'll draw bugs from quite a distance so maybe we'll solve some of the customers bug problems too :)  Very helpful #2.

U
Undisclosed #3
Aug 29, 2017

Off camera IR source - might even provide you with greater area of interest lighting.

Or if the location can protect it, try using a fan to blow the insects away from the light.

(think lakeside restaurant or golf clubhouse)

(1)
UE
Undisclosed End User #4
Aug 30, 2017

I have a fair amount of experience with 940nm IR for covert use.  As stated above, its rare to find a camera with integrated 940nm IR.   If you want to try it, you can find 940nm external illuminators.  Be aware though, that some cameras are going to have issues 'seeing' that 940nm

(1)
Sergey Bystrov
Sep 02, 2017
NetworkOptix

U1, how alarm is triggered? Any chance you can share a piece of video?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #5
Nov 28, 2017

Jumping in here late but if Hikvision products are an option for you, look at their Darkfighter series. I've been experimenting with them and had some pretty incredible color images in low light which completely negates the need for IR of any sort and eliminates the issue of bugs entirely.

They also benefit by giving you a far more accurate description of a subject because not only does IR mode on a camera just give you shades of grey, lots of clothing is IR reflective which can lead to very inaccurate descriptions.

I have a perp on camera that was wearing all black and the IR makes it look like his jacket and shoes are bright white. If you're live monitoring, that kind of disparity could very easily allow a suspect to get away if security/police pass him over for not matching the description (i.e. "bright" colored jacket and shoes, dark pants).

NOTICE: This comment has been moved to its own discussion: Benefits Of Hikvision Darkfighter Over IR Cameras

Mohammad Rashid
Jan 22, 2018

Check out Calipsa, our software filters out false alarms better than those mentioned names and is very affordable

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions