Subscriber Discussion

Advantages Of Software Defined Networks?

MM
Michael Miller
Aug 26, 2017

Besides UNIFI, Meraki, Peplink and Datto what other SDN options are there?   I see many advantages using SDN networks for IP security networks but what are the disadvantages when using them over standard CLI/web GUI managed switches. 

U
Undisclosed #1
Aug 26, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I see many advantages using SDN networks for IP security networks...

Maybe you could start with listing some of the biggest advantages, because I don't think they are obvious, assuming we are talking about dedicated (non-converged) security networks.

MM
Michael Miller
Aug 26, 2017

Well the biggest IMO is network visibility.   Seeing how all your switches are connected, which ports are up links/downlinks and where each client/camera connects to the network in real time is a huge time saver when it comes to service and network documentation.  You have one interface to monitor and control all of your network switches and routers. 

Here is an example of a system we are working on right now.  This diagram is automatically created in real time as we connect devices to the network.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Aug 26, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Well the biggest IMO is network visibility.

As as far as switches and ports go, hasn't that been solved by SNMP and various vendors solutions?

MM
Michael Miller
Aug 26, 2017

Sure you can some of this via SNMP but you it takes time and you need understand SNMP and how to configure everything.  Most management software for SMNP costs money and time to setup where this is all built into SDN networks.   From what I have seen with SDN you can teach your most basic tech how to set this up.  Not to mention setting up VLANS across many switches is dead simple and takes minutes to roll out. 

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Aug 28, 2017

What brand is this diagram from?  I am interested.

MM
Michael Miller
Aug 28, 2017

That is from UBNTs UNIFI line of switches, routers, and APs

MM
Michael Miller
Aug 27, 2017

You can add Aerohive to the list as it looks like they have switches now. 

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Aug 28, 2017

HP has Openflow SDN.

(1)
SN
Simon Nazaretian
Aug 29, 2017

The biggest disadvantage that I am aware of is vendor lock-in. This has many disadvantages depending on the vendor - licensing, ongoing costs (software assurance/maintenance agreements), price increases, drops in manufacturing quality over time, etc.

I've done work for Meraki shops for instance. Its a fantastic product, makes running a distributed IT operation a snap and the feature set & super were the bees knees but cost a bloody fortune. Also, as time went on, costs fluctuated, product quality came abd whent and because it was the core of their business / offering they couldn't step away. 

Having too many eggs in one basket and all that...

With other managed switches + SNMP you can work with who you like when you like, except that freedom come at it's own price - compatibility, complexity...

pick your poison. 

(1)
UE
Undisclosed End User #3
Aug 29, 2017

Mike, check out www.adaranetworks.com as they look to be a candidate as well for a strong SDN solution.  I too could see the value in SDN usability for larger scale deployments.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions