Subscriber Discussion

VMS Mac Server, Interested?

Sergey Bystrov
Jul 11, 2017
NetworkOptix

To integrators: are you inеrested in VMS Mac server? ( assuming MAC client is available )
Any unique value for you here?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Jul 11, 2017

I would be more interested in seeing a VMS working on a Unix/Linux Server. That being said if you got one working on MAC it should be a pretty easy port to Unix. Not sure of the value though. 

Christopher Uiterwyk
Jul 11, 2017
IPConfigure

Orchid Fusion VMS is seeing lots of success on Linux.  In fact, we recently were awarded one of the largest US retailers who required CentOS and OS hardening using STIGs.

Chris
CEO IPConfigure Inc.

(1)
UE
Undisclosed End User #2
Jul 11, 2017

I prefer Linux or BSD servers, hence my attraction to Exacq.

On that note, does anyone know of any other *nix based VMS?

Though "Macs" OS is based off of the FreeBSD kernel, they stopped making servers years ago. So It would be awkward to rack mount modern Apple hardware.

(2)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #3
Jul 11, 2017

Very interested. I've always wondered why Nx Witness doesn't have a Mac Server. Seems like a big hole in the architecture considering you have Server applications for Windows, Linux, and even Raspberry Pi or Banana Pi.

Nathan Wheeler
Jul 12, 2017

Simple supply/demand rationale UM3.  While it's been discussed on more than one occasion after being requested by a few small SMB projects, the demand was never strong enough for a Mac media server to put in the significant ongoing development hours necessary to fully support it.  

If it's a hole in the architecture, it hasn't been a big enough one to worry about.  Our enterprise and embedded Linux servers, with solid Mac and iOS clients, have usually been enough to satisfy our more demanding Mac house customers.

(1)
(1)
Sergey Bystrov
Jul 12, 2017
NetworkOptix

Hello U3 

Thank you.

Your answer tells me you know who I'm and since you, as a manufacturer know our product that well maybe you can ping me privately to explain your position better. 

Specifically, I would be interested to know

1) what would you do with it? What for? Which issues would it solve?

2) with such interest, do you echo your channel? ( if so maybe you can put me in touch with somebody to gather more information) or it's about something potentially new.

Thanks.

LB
Lee Brown
Aug 15, 2017

Would love to have a server ported to FreeBSD or even a FreeNAS add on / plugin. Using Jails and ZFS would seemingly fit well with potentially new customers like those listed at IXsystems.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions