Subscriber Discussion

Too Many Tp-Link & Trendnet Switch Failures. Any Ideas?

KJ
Kenny Johnson
Jul 06, 2017

I really need some advice.

We have switches go out like crazy!

I mean all the time!

I understand that we are not using high end switches.

We are using Trendnet POE and gigabit switches.

They just go bad out of the blue with no explanation.

Today at one location we had 6 POE switches bad... out of the blue.
Also, today at another location we had 2 or 3 switches out there too.

I don't mean old switches.  I mean less than 1 year old.

We used to use TP-Link but those went out a lot so we change to Trendnet... but they are no better.

We typically just plug the switches into a surge protector type power strip.

I really need some advice here.

Brian Rhodes
Jul 06, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Are these specific models or general across the brand?

Is Trendnet offering tech support or warranty help?

KJ
Kenny Johnson
Jul 06, 2017

No, it is not just certain models.

We have had this experience with both TP-Link and Trendnet.

Tim Warnock
Jul 06, 2017

Power surges?

We have used Netgear Smart Switches for years with much success and they are not much more expensive than Trendnet/TP Link

(3)
KJ
Kenny Johnson
Jul 06, 2017

Are you just plugging the switches into a power strip like we are?

It could be power surges... thats what we blame it on... but I can't imagine that everyone else loses as many switches as we do!

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Jul 06, 2017

Kenny - where are you located?  Are you in a part of the world with frequent brownouts, surges, or other issues?  If so, a UPS with AVR might be worthwhile.

(1)
Vincent Tong
Jul 06, 2017

Power strips dont really help that much.  It would be much better to get a cheap UPS battery back up to condition the line.

(2)
JA
Josh Aldridge
Jul 11, 2017

I would suspect that it is a power issue. Typically, the cheaper you go on electronics (not just switches) the more susceptible they will be to power flickers/surges. Try putting a small UPS from someone like APC, Minuteman, etc. with the switches. This allows the switches to stay powered up during a short outage. There can be arguments for days on which switch manufacturer is the best to use, but make sure to spec in decent commercial grade versions. Even if you have to sell the switch at a lower margin, you will make it back with reduced service/warranty calls.

(2)
Tim Warnock
Jul 06, 2017

For interior switches and interior cams, yes just to standard power strips or a small UPS.

For exterior cams to interior or exterior switches we normally use Ditek network surge protectors with proper ground at the switch on the incoming network cable. However that surge protection is usually an upsell so some customers go without it and we still have had good luck with the Netgear GS108/110/728 line of switches without network surge protectors.

You could try to just use a small UPS in lieu of a power strip for your switch power and see if that helps. Would think it would be worth it plus keeps your cams going for a few minutes if power is out. The Tripp Lite AVR550U is decent at a low price...helps with brownouts also due to AVR.

MC
Marty Calhoun
Jul 06, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Go to the commercial DLINK line. Great pricing <$300 for 28 port POE+ w/ SFP ports. Establish a relationship with a regional rep, explain you will move 500+ of those switches this year and they will look for your business. 500 is not a lot but a reasonable amount to get started.

(1)
(1)
U
Undisclosed
Jul 12, 2017

dlink gets compromised every 18 months or so.  Would advise against them.

(1)
(1)
(1)
JH
John Honovich
Jul 12, 2017
IPVM

Rodney, you are telling Hikvision's #1 proponent not to use a product that gets compromised regularly.....

(3)
MC
Marty Calhoun
Jul 12, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Thanks John I appreciate your candor in the moment!

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Jul 06, 2017

Something else you may want to consider is environment of the switches. If you are based near the equator and see 100F/37.5C+ weather temperatures there is a good chance you are baking your switches and that may be what is killing them. 

(2)
(1)
Kevin Bennett
Jul 11, 2017

I agree on the environmental conditions being a factor.  I recommend using industrial (environmentally hardened) switching equipment whenever you will be installing in a space that is not environmentally conditioned (heating/AC).  They cost more, but can handle temperature extremes far better than consumer grade switches.

We typically use Interlogix (IFS) industrial switches, media converters, etc., when installing in unconditioned spaces, but there are a number of manufacturers with similar products. 

Another thing to note is that if you are using SFP modules in unconditioned spaces, be sure to use hardened SFPs, too.  Learned that lesson the hard way.

I also mirror some of the other recommendations on using UPS (battery backup) devices.  "Surge strips" are ineffective for preventing damage from fluctuating power, power outages, etc.

(2)
MC
Marty Calhoun
Jul 06, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Back-up all systems with UPS as standard business. I use the Minuteman PRO 1500 RT, great performance <$ 220 each. Again it's all about the relationship. Introduce yourself to the regional rep and explain you will sell 1000 units this year. Purchase 50 upfront, they will listen, they want to sell, demand 'X' price (be reasonable, do your homework) and wa-la they will knock on your door.

(1)
(2)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Jul 11, 2017

Kenny, many people just don't appreciate you have to meet a cost (and balance with support) so adding $200-$300 for a single switch may not work.

We use a ton of Trendnet PoE switches (4/4, $45) and they are pretty reliable.  However we creep up to the Netgear versions, still reasonable, for those more important clients.  Surges and lightning are always an issue and one we haven't been able to solve with a reasonable cost.  

We also always use a 450 UPS at least wherever a switch goes.

(1)
Gust Askounis
Jul 11, 2017
Security Solutions Inc

Kenny? First let me say we are the TrendNet rep for their security offering. I apologize for the issues you are having. I would appreciate the chance for our technical staff to speak with you. We appreciate your business. Also IPVM please let me know if this is an inappropriate use of the forum.  Thanks. 

(1)
JH
John Honovich
Jul 11, 2017
IPVM

Gust, sure that's fine. I'll pass your contact information to Kenny.

MD
Mike Davis
Jul 11, 2017

Kenny,

Does the location or locations have their own switches for computers, printers etc? If so do they have any problems? If not what is different or not about their setup? 

RB
Randy Bart
Jul 11, 2017

Hey Kenny -

My name is Wes Gosnell; Security Distribution Manager for DLink.  We feel your pain and would love the opportunity to help out. 

Our networking switches have a lifetime warranty and one of the lowest failure rates globally.

If you'd like, feel free to reach out to me by any means below.

Thx, Kenny!

Wes Gosnell
DLink
864-520-6576
Wesley.Gosnell@dlink.com

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions