Subscriber Discussion

Wednesday June 28

Brian Karas
Jun 29, 2017
IPVM

Spent some time going through Hik source code/looking for monte crypto backdoor. Nothing yet, but eliminated some things. Didn't want to spend all day on it, but will keep going through it in between other things. 

Call wtih Brian from Resolver and then wrote post on their $20m funding raise. 

Spoke with Janet - she gave me contacts for Dahua India guys, also said that distributor ownership involvement may include Hanwha, she is going to talk to someone there and get back to me. Also asked her about the cyber security stuff, she did check into that too, mostly vague state,sets from China side about doing more related to cyber security, but nothing concrete from it yet. 

Chat with some other folks in India about the Hik/Dahua distributors. They confirmed ownership, knew of it first hand. 

Emailed both the Indian distributors to see if we could get more info/etc from them. Nothing yet, but they were probably sleeping at the time. 

Ari Erenthal
Jun 29, 2017

Closed distributor favorability post

Spoke with Karas about the Provident post

Finished Provident post

An inventor friend of mine called me to tell me he a new mPERS product out. Unfortunately, there's no RMR involved, he just wants to sell it in stores for a flat fee. Otherwise it would be a pretty cool story.  

User support

JH
John Honovich
Jun 29, 2017
IPVM

An inventor friend of mine called me to tell me he a new mPERS product out. Unfortunately, there's no RMR involved, he just wants to sell it in stores for a flat fee. Otherwise it would be a pretty cool story.

It's a 'cool' story if it has potential to work for the customer. Whether it has RMR or not is not what's important.

If it works for the customer, i.e., solves their need, the fact that it does not include RMR makes it even more interesting because it's disruptive.

What is this mPERS product? Does it have a website?

Ari Erenthal
Jun 29, 2017

It's this thing here. A prepaid SIM card and a AA battery. You press a button and record a message. That message is then played to a 911 operator along with GPS coordinates, which are cross referenced with the closest physical address. He says he worked with Mapquest to get that working. Battery should last 2 years, he claims.

He also has an upgraded version that sends an SMS with the same data to a loved one. 

He's trying to get it sold in big box stores but has no idea where to start. MSRP is $79.99, he says it costs him less than $40 to make. I thought about telling him to try Shark Tanks but didn't. 

He also says he's working on a smoke detector and a flood detector that works on the same concept, it'll send you a text message if it goes off, no monitoring fee and no local wifi or POTS line required, good for rural users. That would be interesting. 

Brian Rhodes
Jun 29, 2017
IPVMU Certified

It's potentially disruptive BECAUSE of no RMR.

I saw there is a $1/m option to send SMS and texts to user defined lists.

A big problem to using the location method he's opted for is that is will not be very granular in many areas.

It's no big deal in suburbs, but in heavily urban areas and rural ones, it might have trouble.

If I press the button on the 18th floor of my building, how does it know to communicate this?

Other mPERS devices have trouble with this too, but solve it generally at the expense of aggressive device polling, not general GPS coordinates.

JH
John Honovich
Jun 29, 2017
IPVM

Ari, email Pete Giancole, cc me, ask him what he thinks of that company and their 99 cent a month model. I am not looking for Pete to say whether it's worth covering just what take he will have given his focus on business models / RMR in the industry.

Brian Rhodes
Jun 29, 2017
IPVMU Certified

published shayype post

started 13.56 MHz copier test, updated github with prelim work

various member mails/ support tasks

Rob Kilpatrick
Jun 29, 2017
IPVM • IPVMU Certified

Last day of NRF, got some videos I missed, attended one breakout session and then walked the floor and talked to some vendors / got demos of products.

Ethan Ace
Jun 29, 2017

Weird, I distinctly remember posting my daily update last night but I guess I never hit reply.

- update some cameras with proper angle of view for fixed lenses. reviewed the kyle boe list and looked and some of them. the hik cameras look like they have AOVs on spec sheets, so we should be good. there are possibly more dahua cameras than hik without it, though, and some don't list AOV on the spec sheets i've seen, but in the past i know some other regions showed it even if NA didn't.

- what should i do with the h.265+ CPU load info? i'm assuming add it to the report, not make it anything separate? i can update the load figures in the h.265 vs. h.264 report as well.

- compressor testing. i'm going to pull out another couple CVI cameras. after back and forth with chris and another, they finally tell me that 4MP CVI cameras won't work, and the third one I was testing should. i also tried the FLIR TCX which outputs CVI but it's hard to tell if it's functioning right because it's monochrome. shouldn't take more than an hour or so to test and then i can finish.

JH
John Honovich
Jun 29, 2017
IPVM

what should i do with the h.265+ CPU load info? i'm assuming add it to the report, not make it anything separate? i can update the load figures in the h.265 vs. h.264 report as well.

Yes, add to report and post as comment.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions