Hikvision 8MP Low-Cost Camera Tested

Ethan Ace
Jul 14, 2017

Note: we have ordered the Dahua N84BG44 4K turret, which is similarly priced to the 2385 and plan to test soon.

U
Undisclosed #1
Jul 15, 2017

Ethan,

have u try 4K cameras with Avigilon?

I just got few today

and motion recording does not work

U
Undisclosed #1
Jul 27, 2017

"Update"

new firmware from HIK

fixed motion recording problem with Avigilon

Sean Nelson
Jul 14, 2017
Nelly's Security

Awesome. Really excited about these. I expect these to be huge.

(2)
(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #2
Jul 15, 2017

[IPVM Note: Hanwha Employee]

I might have missed it, but does the Hikvision camera have free onboard analytics, go to 12mp resolution @ 20fps or have a motorized variable focus lens like the Hanwha version does?

(2)
JH
John Honovich
Jul 15, 2017
IPVM

Easy Hanwha employee... The report makes clear that the Hanwha and the higher-end Hikvision have clear advantages over the low-cost Hikvision one.

Do you have an entry level 8MP camera that you would like us to test?

Btw, as for your analytics, I have little faith in their performance, based on overall analytic problems and Hanwha / Samsung track record in analytics. Are you confident that we should test Hanwha's analytics?

(2)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #2
Jul 15, 2017

It's all good, no harm in elaborating on what those advantages are considering the comparison is entry level to premium. I understand there are no other apples to apples comparison, but some readers might get confused or wonder what those other advantages are.

Your faith in any product is meaningless and useless, it's your tests that are important for the industry. With that said, the only confidence I have that matters in this situation applies to your ability to conduct an objective scientific test, in which I have the utmost confidence. So let's curb the tabloidesque faith\speculation statements and determine some fact, be it negative or positive results, we will value and grow from them.

JH
John Honovich
Jul 15, 2017
IPVM

#2, here's the thing, literally most industry people think most analytics do not work, and that certainly includes Hanwha's.

If we spend 2 weeks testing Hanwha analytics to only conclude that they work poorly, it's a waste of our time since people's most typical response will be something like "No kidding, we know analytics do not work, no surprise, tell us something we don't know."

So far we have not heard confidence from anyone at Hanwha that these analytics work well. If you or your colleagues want to declare your confidence in their performance, we will test it. But analytics are, for most manufacturers, including Dahua's most recent marketing, a throw away freebie that's free because they generally do not work. So you want to vouch for Hanwha's analytics strong performance or have your colleagues do so?

(5)
(1)
Tim Pickles
Jul 19, 2017
Direct Security

In regard to the distortion to the edges of the FOV and the centering of the IR, these can both be attributed to the wider FOV 2.8mm lens. Is there a reason why the more commonly used 4mm wasn't selected to test? The Hanwha has a 4.5-10mm lens, so I believe the test on the HIK should have used the 4mm, which would balance the review more favorably towards HIK with two of the "negatives" removed.

I'd agree that HIK need to brush up on the WDR performance. It's adequate and ok for the money, but just a little more effort could deliver a really good result. In fairness though, the 4-line's do seem better.

On a personal note, I only see using a 2.8mm lens as a general coverage camera and not to cover key/critical assets, so edge distortion isn't a big issue and isn't present to the same degree in either the 4mm or 6mm variants. Likewise with the IR - to get the IR to cover 102 degree, 30m FOV is a big ask. 

I totally understand its not a like for like comparison, but the use of a 4mm lens (the most common) I really think would have produced a more favorable review. 

I think the head to head with the N84BG44, will be interesting.

There is a definition of quality that states "fitness for purpose at minimal cost". I'd say the HIK delivers on that, even with the minor performance issues highlighted.

On the analytics, we've been ok with HIK's. We are using intrusion detection to trigger remote connections for ARC's, people counting to shop entrances and nightclubs, line and direction crossing for traffic management in distribution depots, ANPR for automated barrier openings and face detection for Loss Prevention office at a leading department store and nightclubs. Not played with the object detected/removed yet. All these were gold plated diamond encrusted dream sheets when we were partnered with IndigoVision and lost in a road map to no-where with Pelco. The true value in using HIK is not just to sell and throw in kit on bottom dollar installs. It's to harness features that were previously just extraordinarily overpriced options. It allows an integrator to integrate competitively, rather than a house basher to bang in a system for porch bandits for a few $. I think this perspective is sometimes lost on the forums. 

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions