Blink XT Outdoor Totally Wireless Camera Tested

John Scanlan
May 10, 2017
IPVM • IPVMU Certified
Ethan Ace
May 12, 2017

Update: Blink support says the camera is 1080p, but limited to 720p by software currently. No ETA on increasing resolution. We've updated the report to reflect this.

The initial release of the XT is 720p only. We are working on the software right now to enable 1080p. The goal has always been to offer 1080p on the XT so while I don’t have an ETA on when this will be released, we will announce this change on our website as well as our Support site. You will not have to do anything on your end for this change to take place.

Sean Nelson
May 12, 2017
Nelly's Security

Hikvision: Please make cameras like this. Totally wireless cameras are a hot item

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
May 12, 2017

We are listening, comrade.

(2)
JH
John Honovich
May 13, 2017
IPVM

Sean, are you the same person who yesterday said that IPVM has become "so overly negatively opinionated towards Hikvision, it has now become hilariously ridiculous"?

You think it's a good idea to send a message to Hikvision from that site? :) lol

I agree these cameras are a hot item that more commercial oriented manufacturers should target.

A few thoughts on the pros and cons of this category:

• Obviously the flexibility of not having to run any wires is a great plus.
  • The main drawback I worry about is that people expecting these things to be security cameras that will record bad things. These cameras are great if you mainly care about looking what is happening right now but they are, at best, an unreliable means to record events that happened (given the nature of generally not recording and infrequently and not precisely on events).
  • Because of the battery / wireless constraints, these will have to be designed as a end to end system, with the sync / base / receiver unit, which will make it less appealing to those wanting to sell 'open' cameras but certainly attractive to Ezviz and likely to some lower end Hikvision commercial users.
(2)
(1)
Sean Nelson
May 13, 2017
Nelly's Security

Oh im sure they still read it i assume. Thats one thing you can be proud of, your a loud enough nag to them to be listened to. :)

Ethan Ace
May 13, 2017

It's not quite Hikvision proper, but EZVIZ announced a Blink/Arlo competitor at CES. No idea when it's shipping.

(1)
Sean Nelson
May 13, 2017
Nelly's Security

Cool!

JH
John Honovich
May 13, 2017
IPVM

More on the Mini Trooper from the CES press release:

Mini Trooper (MSRP Starting at $129.99, Available April 2017) is the first wire-free, battery-powered indoor/outdoor HD Wi-Fi smart home camera from EZVIZ, expanding on an already impressive line of outdoor video cameras such as the Husky and Husky Dome. With a battery life of up to 9 months, the Mini Trooper is fully equipped to handle wind, dust, rain, snow, and temperatures from 14°F to 131°F. Mount it outside to view your front door, driveway or backyard to keep an eye on what's happening outside. Just like every other EZVIZ Smart Home camera, the Mini Trooper works with Amazon Echo through IFTTT and delivers an intuitive “video viewing” experience through the EZVIZ app.

We'll test. Though it says available April 2017, I don't see any listings on Amazon nor Ezviz website. However, it probably is shipping soon.

(1)
Sean Nelson
May 13, 2017
Nelly's Security

Will be sweet if can record to hikvision nvr's when triggered.

(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #3
May 16, 2017

Guess that base is to handle dedicate communication for the wireless cam,  to avoid "wifi home" as much as possible in order to save on battery life.    

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #4
Jul 16, 2018

Wow the mount looks exactly like Arlo.  Is this cam the same inside as Arlo just with a different housing?  Who makes Arlo for Netgear?  Worth investigation.

JH
John Honovich
Jul 16, 2018
IPVM

Who makes Arlo for Netgear? Worth investigation.

Arlo uses contract manufacturers (such as Foxconn) but it's their own design.

We detailed this here - Arlo IPO Filing Reveals Key Financial and Competitive Details

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
May 15, 2017

Soon to release the "Storm Trooper" version?

(1)
Joseph Marotta
Aug 03, 2020
IPVMU Certified

They were going to release the Storm Trooper camera but it's accuracy unfortunately lived up to its name.

RR
Rich Roth
Jul 09, 2019

I am always wary of IP cameras, but I do like the Blink Camera, and even take one on the road with me. My have worked over 5 months now on the original battery, which is better than I expected even though Blink claims an up to two year capability.

Ease of setup is a real plus, and changing the setup is very easy as well.  

(1)
Joseph Marotta
Aug 03, 2020
IPVMU Certified

I also have Blink at my front door. Batter has lasted 1.5 years currently and battery status still says OK. I'm very happy with this product.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions