The Pesky Salesman Cartoon

JH
John Honovich
May 08, 2017
IPVM

This cartoon makes regular appearances on LinkedIn:

Every time I see it, it has been from a salesperson bemoaning stupid customers.

But the counter is that 'pesky' salesman is too often selling the same exact sword or worse for more money. More fundamentally, especially in this day and age, many users can find out about such things would meeting a salesman.

Note, I don't think this is pure 'right' or 'wrong'. Obviously some salesman have disruptive things to offer but the challenge for buyers is that most do not. 

Thoughts?

U
Undisclosed #1
May 09, 2017
IPVMU Certified

This cartoon makes regular appearances on LinkedIn:

It gets around :)

(3)
JH
John Honovich
May 09, 2017
IPVM

You're good!

(1)
U
Undisclosed #2
May 09, 2017

(1)
Brian Karas
May 09, 2017
IPVM

This cartoon really illustrates failures of the sales person:

1) Inability to articulate the key benefit of your product in a simple sentence. "My product has the power of 1,000 soldiers for 1/10th the cost"

2) inability of the sales person to understand how to position their product relative to competitive options. This is where I often see this cartoon on LinkedIn, sales people who think they are selling a machine gun when they are really selling a water gun. 

Additionally, there is an old saying "if you are not losing some deals, you are not getting in front of enough customers". Generally speaking, nobody wins 100% of their deals.  If they do, they are not charging enough or not meeting with enough customers. 

A good sales person who really has a machine gun in the era of swords is not posting on LinkedIn crying about customers not giving them time. 

(3)
U
Undisclosed #1
May 09, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Proprietary bullets, I bet.

(2)
U
Undisclosed #2
May 09, 2017

Why is the machine gun depicted in that particular location relative to the guy standing there?

Ari Erenthal
May 09, 2017

Flagging hasn't been invented yet.

Brian Karas
May 09, 2017
IPVM

No, it uses a standard open bullet format, you can buy bullets anywhere, but not from the guy selling the gun. But it's an open format, so you should be able to get your preferred bullet manufacturer to make bullets that conform to the spec, which by the way, is a triangular profile instead of round. But it's not proprietary at all.

Meanwhile, the customer wants to know if it can be modified to shoot swords instead of bullets, because they have a big investment in swords, and really, swords are just a kind of bullet if you launch them the right way.

(3)
U
Undisclosed #1
May 09, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I'm gonna wait until the intellectual property issues are settled.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions