Subscriber Discussion

What Factors Are Limiting Thermal Camera Adoption?

Jon Dillabaugh
Apr 28, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

John, do you think with the recent downward trend of low cost TI cameras that adoption will increase? I agree that visual cameras have come a long way, but there are still use cases for TI. Some of those couldn't afford the likes of a Flir FC-618, but with the $2500 and under range, they are getting more affordable. Just a thought. 

NOTICE: This comment was moved from an existing discussion: What Hikvision Cameras Should IPVM Test?

Vincent Tong
Apr 28, 2017

Perhaps it is because they are more for activity detection unlike traditional cameras for identification. 

(3)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Apr 28, 2017

I agree with this.  Paired with some decent analytics it is fairly good at DETECTION but you still need a plain old camera for identification.  Most of the time the cost and need for two devices puts people off.  I have only successfully sold one high end thermal in the past 3 years and that is more of a novelty than a necessity.  There are definitely use cases for them but they are a rarity.  Often those use cases are better or more cost effectively done with perimeter or fence alarms.

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions