Subscriber Discussion

Avigilon (UMD) Unusual Motion Detection

IK
Itamar Kerbel
Apr 05, 2017

Hi,

I know it a bit early to say much as this is just deceleration and not a product yet but since its a bold statement and a very interesting one for me I wanted to know if the IPVM community knows about similar product in the market.

I personally feel that if it will work properly this will be a very popular product but is this new or are there anything else that does similar things that Avigilon will compete with?

JH
John Honovich
Apr 05, 2017
IPVM

This is the same product pitch as BRS Labs. Avigilon is clearly a dramatically better and more reputable company, though.

The general technical challenge with this approach is making sure that a high enough percentage of the 'unusual movements' are actual things that people care about (because many 'unusual' things are not bad or even worth knowing about). Otherwise, you get into the false alert problem, i.e., the system alerts you to 100 'unusual' things and only 1 is real.

As you note, it is now just a 'preview' at a trade show.

We will be talking to them more today and will provide further feedback.

(1)
MM
Michael Miller
Apr 05, 2017

Keep in mind not every one is not going to us this as proactive solution as UMD can be use for searching recorded video which in my experience with Avigilon analilytics is a more popular way the analytics are used.  

I can see users coming in Monday morning and run a search for any unusual events for over weekend.  They can review all events quickly to determine what was relivent and then move on with their day.   I can see this being a very popular way to us the system.

(1)
JH
John Honovich
Apr 05, 2017
IPVM

searching recorded video which in my experience with Avigilon analilytics is a more popular way the analytics are used.

But alerting is a far more valuable way, everything else equal, since it alerts can stop bad things from happening while searching tells you what bad things already happened.

This is not an Avigilon criticism, but fundamental to search vs alerts, applicable to Briefcam, 3VR and other companies who deliver search focused analytics.

Btw, I do agree / can see users running queries for unusual events over the weekend. How much value that delivers to the customer is what's debatable.

(1)
MM
Michael Miller
Apr 05, 2017

I completely agree that proactive approach has more value when it comes to proventing bad things from happening but the customer has to have someone monitoring the system 24/7 for this to be effective.    They also have to have areas where people or vehicles are not supposed to be. Most customers as a whole don't have this.

Having done countless demos most customers get more excited for the searching capablitys as this usually is a major pain point with there current system.  Normally goes something like this " wow you just searched 12 hours of video in seconds.  I did this last week on my current system and it took me all day.  How soon can you get me a quote"

I guess what I am saying is you can cast a bigger net with the searching capablitys over the proactive approach and you can always upsell the proactive features in the future. 

(2)
(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions