Subscriber Discussion

How Familiar Are You With Fortress Security?

Ari Erenthal
Mar 17, 2017

The top result for "burglar alarm" on Amazon is this autodialer kit from Fortress Security. 1,200+ reviews (most of which are 4 or 5 star). I included it in our DIY alarm directory, but I confess I didn't give it much thought because it's "just" an autodialer system. But apparently it's blowing the doors off selling like hotcakes.

Here's their website.

Have you come across this product before?  

U
Undisclosed #1
Mar 17, 2017

I have today off from work and I was bored...

Fortress is owned by Michael Hofeditz 

He used to own: homesecuritywashington.com (now defunct, but shown here).

Another Amazon seller called PiSector hawks exactly the same kit - and for less money.... hmmm

The Chinese company that makes this kit for Fortress is ShenZhen Proyu Technology Co Ltd - here is the page on their site that shows the kit - and here is their alibaba site showing same.

Mr. Hofeditz also sells various other products (like tooth brushes and kids toys) under the company name Techege LLC.

Fortress Security Solutions LLC was recently sued for selling a device (as Techege) that allegedly infringed the patent of a pet ramp device (so small animals can get onto couches and beds, etc) owned by PetEdge.

(1)
(2)
Ari Erenthal
Mar 17, 2017

Alright, now you're just showing off.

(2)
U
Undisclosed #1
Mar 17, 2017

I'm actually more curious about how they get to be the top result for burglar alarm on Amazon than I am who they are.

and I only started looking around at them after I saw this 'disclaimer' they post on the Product Description section of their Amazon page:

I figured that pretty much guaranteed that they did not make the device themselves - which they clearly do not.

So, how did they get the top spot when another seller lists the very same device kit for less $$?

REVIEWS

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions