Subscriber Discussion

Lenses - Resolution Considerations

U
Undisclosed #1
Mar 09, 2017

Recent article by Fredrik Nilsson about lenses:

https://securitytoday.com/Articles/2017/03/01/A-Line-of-Sight.aspx?Page=1

I'm not sure I understand some of the discussion about pixel size and resolution.

-

- I thought typically pixel sizes went down as pixel count went up (with IP cameras)

Or if your pixel size stayed the same, then your sensor size went up as the pixel count went up.  

- I thought SLR camera lenses had higher resolution requirements than surveillance.

Signed

Confused. ??

(1)
DF
Daniel Filomena
Mar 13, 2017
IPVMU Certified

What I get out of that article is this: There are some low quality lenses out there. If you are purchasing a lens for a standard resolution camera, make sure it is appropriate sharpness for that cam, no need to buy one rated for 4K resolution. On the other hand, if you were looking for a lens for that 4K camera, you  should make sure it is designed to deliver the sharpness needed for a 4K camera. 

Im thinking its just a matter of manufacturing tolerances and cost. A more precise, finely ground glass lens would cost more and be able to show all the detail a higher resolution camera can capture.

Im wondering if sensor size and Mp rating requirements both need to be met in order to truly pick the best lens.

Thinking back to old SLRs with a 35mm and large format fim "sensor".  Maybe the sensor size in a current day megapixel SLR camera duplicates that same film size, therefore having larger size pixels. This is the reason for needing the larger diameter lens and less of a need for resolving power, I guess. 

I'm with you though #1, thought SLRs had best of the best lenses. Thanks for bringing this up 

(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Mar 14, 2017

Thanks, Daniel, for your thoughts.

I'm still unclear whether/how absolute pixel size factors into lens resolving power requirement. I guess for now I'll stick with the pixel count parameter when buying lenses

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions