Subscriber Discussion

Tuesday March 7 2017

Brian Karas
Mar 08, 2017
IPVM

Updated TVI post - waiting for response from Darron

Updated Milestone post

Wrote Nightingale post

Email to CU for information about their biometric access control, no response yet.

Couple of emails with Krebs, waiting for him to call to discuss Dahua backdoor.

JH
John Honovich
Mar 08, 2017
IPVM

Updated Milestone post

What you added is insufficient:

Asked for comment, Genetec says they can support 2Gbps recording on a single 1U Xeon server, while also maintaining 800Mbps out of the server to connected clients. VMS developer Axxon says that the primary bottleneck for their system is hard drive speeds, and not software. Both companies noted that they do not see customers doing a large amount of server-side motion detection, or running into resource issues with VMD on their platforms.

1) There is not topic sentence. E.g. "Key competitors disagreed" or "Two competitors concured on X but disagreed on Y". Make it clear in the first sentence. Don't make the reader have to figure out our key finding. That's our job.

2) There is no discussion about whether or not others support Intel Quick Sync, which is what Milestone is claiming here. Remember the topic of this is about enhanced VMD. Do they support the same?

3) "Genetec says they can support 2Gbps recording on a single 1U Xeon server, while also maintaining 800Mbps out of the server to connected clients." How does this compare to what Milestone is claiming? Is this apples to apples?

4) Do we believe them? Do we have any expert analysis to add? Any qualifications?

This is not going to be a high read post but whatever post we release needs to have meet quality standards.

Ari Erenthal
Mar 08, 2017

Class, and questions in regards. 

Finished glass break detector post, other than an image of a shock sensor. Brooklyn Supply will have them in stock in the store near me on Thursday. Having them shipped will take till Friday. Will pick one up in person. 

Do I need an image? I think I do: a lot of people have told me they barely use them, and the images I found online are all badly installed to the point of being unusable. Some might interpret this as meaning that the technology is irrelevant, but I think that this means that the technology is poorly understood, and overlooked because of that. 

JH
John Honovich
Mar 08, 2017
IPVM

Brooklyn Supply will have them in stock in the store near me on Thursday. Having them shipped will take till Friday. Will pick one up in person.

Your time is valuable. You should treat it as such. To save a day, you are going to spend an hour. Poor use of time. Don't do it. Have it shipped to you.

Ari Erenthal
Mar 08, 2017

Okay. I'll get started on the next item on the ToC, then? 

JH
John Honovich
Mar 08, 2017
IPVM

Yes, the glassdoor post can be released anytime next week and is not time critical.

If this was a news story that depended on a part than it would justify rushing / spending extra time.

Brian Rhodes
Mar 08, 2017
IPVMU Certified

finished DMP post

did class

tomorrow Mirolli class #2 (session 3 & 4)

John Scanlan
Mar 08, 2017
IPVM • IPVMU Certified

member support

final exam grading

• 17 certified
  • 9 awaiting resubmit
  • 5 failed

worked with Ethan:

• fix SimpliSafe
  • tested exports
  • worked on hik people counting
JH
John Honovich
Mar 08, 2017
IPVM

For those certified, we should track the top scorers and create a 'dean's list' / award / public recognition.

Criteria - 95% minimum final score + strong participation in class or discussions

Let me know who if any meets this.

Ethan Ace
Mar 08, 2017

Catch up this morning, followed by SimpliSafe edits

After that, Hik people counting, image examples are done, accuracy stats done, will finish write up tomorrow

Went over export test with Scanlan, will answer that member

Genetec is updated, download and install took awhile, but no issues

Checking for Wisenet X stock, online sources still light. ADI stock is light to nonexistent as well.

Feel like I'm missing something else here, but will catch up more tomorrow.

10AM tomorrow we're going to look at the space next door for lease to see how it might work. More info on that afterward.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions