Subscriber Discussion

WDS Vs Regular Modes Engenius

KJ
Kenny Johnson
Feb 13, 2017

On Engenius radios... they have regular "client bridge" that connects to an "access point" modes.

They also have "WDS bridge" and "WDS Access Point" modes.

Anyone know the difference?

Is one better than than the other?

Thanks

JC
John Collings
Feb 13, 2017
MEMOREYES

WDS - Wireless Distribution System - Should allow the repeating of the same SSID to expand the network under the same SSID. A repeater. Be careful though. As a good rule of thumb every time you repeat in this method you half your data throughput.

KJ
Kenny Johnson
Feb 13, 2017

Thank you so much!

So... this is how you go from radio, to radio, TO RADIO.

How does that work?

You set the first one as an "access point".

Then you set the middle as a "client bridge".

Then the last one.... wont it be looking for an "access point" to connect to?

AP -> CLIENT -> CLIENT  ?

SR
Samuel Rodgers
Feb 13, 2017

When I do that, relaying the signal (to get around an obstruction, for example), it's AP -> client station, with a short jumper connecting to another AP -> client station. so each hop is an access point and client 

(1)
DW
Dennis Widdows
Feb 13, 2017

WDS offers Layer 2 transparency and acts much like a wired Ethernet cable connection... So on a PTP system WDS is better...

JC
John Collings
Feb 14, 2017
MEMOREYES

I do what Samuel does to ensure a device doesn't try to link to a further device down the chain (my radios won't allow locking the MAC address in that mode) and also to preserve the bandwidth throughput. Running through the device "switch" only adds a millisecond or so. Yes, it adds a radio cost, but given the PTP nature I find the network runs better that way. What's your experience with this?

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions