Subscriber Discussion

What Is The Advantage And Disadvantage Using Cloud Storage ?

SH
Stephen Huo
Feb 08, 2017

Cost ? writing efficiant ?

Brian Rhodes
Feb 08, 2017
IPVMU Certified

In general, storing in the cloud uses existing infrastructure and 'rents' storage space rather than purchasing equipment and 'buying' storage outright.

There are factors like cost of maintenance, data recovery, redundancy, and remote accessibility that may also come into play.

However, in a very simple model, using cloud storage is a monthly operational expense while local storage is a bigger upfront expense and smaller monthly/recurring maintenance cost.

Cloud storage for video needs to offer high throughput and high performance recall compared to services for hard drive backups. Not to mention that both local and remote ISP connections need to generally be big. Cloud video costs tend to be at the higher end of cloud storage costs as a result.

Does that help?

SH
Stephen Huo
Feb 09, 2017

It is really helpful. Which one is more expensive , cloud storage or specific storage ? And what is difference between video storage and general storage, IOPS, reading time ? Looks like video surveillance is a 7*24 writing service 

Michael Angelo Refama
Feb 09, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Advantage: Cost effective, security, redundancy of records and can be remotely access.

Disadvantage: Bandwidth usage, data security and internet connection to access.

(1)
Michael Angelo Refama
Feb 09, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Advantage: Cost effective, security, redundancy of records and can be remotely access.

Disadvantage: Bandwidth usage, data security and internet connection to access.

SH
Stephen Huo
Feb 09, 2017

Can we use public cloud like Amazon AWS?

RR
Ronnie Rodgers
Feb 14, 2017

I'm pretty sure that you can use AWS but it would be best to research/interview them to find out if they fit your needs.

(1)
WR
William Reid
Feb 09, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I work with a corporation that has in excess of 500 sites with an average of 16 IP cameras per site. Video may need to be accessed by numerous individuals for any of these sites at any given time. Typically, video is stored at the site via the DVX. How would this work if cloud storage was used? Would it require a larger/faster network connection?

JS
Jack Speers
Feb 09, 2017

Disadvantage:  Several cloud storage services have a specific bandwidth allowance.

Advantage: Avoid e:mailing files to individuals and instead send a web link to recipients through your mail.

Bill Rosell
Feb 12, 2017

Using cloud storage is great for storage you do not need as many or any servers you can store as much information as you purchase in the cloud. stroed files can be accessed from anywhere their is internet. you can have a second area under the cloud for backup in ab emergency.

Disadvantages the main disadvantage is storage is only available if you have internet connectivity or having your own servers your data is local. security may not be as great. bandwidth is often set up with a set allowance once you surpass that limit it costs more o

Andre Costa
Feb 12, 2017
Petrobras • IPVMU Certified

I think main advantages are the security of data, since you probably will have better disk redundancies at the cloud and scalability flexibility. And I think main disadvantage would be the operational cost, considering the company where I work, where we have a large amount of cameras and high cost of WAN links.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Feb 13, 2017

Saves storage space, but the image resolution is not as good.

JH
John Honovich
Feb 13, 2017
IPVM

Saves storage space, but the image resolution is not as good.

While cloud storage often saves storage space by reducing image resolution, you can accomplish the same thing with a local NVR / DVR by just reducing resolution or increasing compression there.

It is practically more common to see that on the cloud given that the cost to stream and store in the cloud tends to be higher than on-premise. While many give away cloud storage for free for general computing use, video surveillance based cloud storage systems tend to be more expensive than on-site DVRs/NVRs for the same amount of storage.

Nick Ingelbrecht
Feb 14, 2017
IPVMU Certified

that's a great summary - 

video surveillance based cloud storage systems tend to be more expensive than on-site DVRs/NVRs for the same amount of storage.

I guess the situation may change over time and it is interesting to watch what the different VMS vendor are pushing in the cloud space. Speaking to some storage people here about this, it might be worth adding their recommendation that large systems using centralized storage deploy a SAN storage system to host the live database for a period of 48 hours or less, after which data can be archived to a NAS system
and then staged to tape or cloud for compliance purposes. So for big systems at least,  it may not be a question of either cloud or not, but a bit of everything! 

Garry Carson
Feb 21, 2017

This discussion has just come at the right time for me, i have to give a presentation on the below

Technology high level overview

Who is in the market (Suppliers & Manufacturers)

What are their main products and USP’s?

What is the purchase / commercial model? What are the likely costs?

What is the market opportunity?

Who is this currently targeted at? What will it displace?

What is the skill base required for install / service?

Who is currently using this technology in real life?

Any help with the above questions would be greatly appreciated

Nick Ames
Feb 28, 2017

Some factors I have wanted to research more....

advantages: redundancy and security of offsite recording. Tehe benefits complimenting onsite is large. Using the cloud to save longer periods of data, eg onsite 2 weeks/cloud 1 month+. Risk of fire, theft, vandalism, flooding, etc damaging NVR or onsite backup and all footage lost.

disadvantages: secondary cost, reliability, added infrastructure for high data transfers.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions