Subscriber Discussion

Wednesday January 25, 2017 Daily Update

Brian Karas
Jan 25, 2017
IPVM

Today:

Call w/Hans from Eagle Eye, nothing specific (he called me), talked a bit about their cyber security marketing push, PR agency they hired to do some social media stuff, etc.

Call w/Sam regarding Avigilon/Georgia Power. Sounds like GP will be pre-installing AVO cameras on light poles and leasing access to customers. Not sure yet about software that would be used, how it would work, etc. Trying to get more info from his contact.

Put together margins/markup report, but it's very similar to last year, may not be worth running.

Have a new products webinar with Milestone tomorrow, and also a call with a guy from V5 about their solar/wireless camera thing (not going to spend too much time on that call unless there is something super revolutionary there).

Ethan Ace
Jan 25, 2017

hik people counting/heatmap from git:

i set up a hik camera on my desk before i went about my day just to see how the counting/heatmap functions worked. counting is working really solidly. It's currently counting people that go past on the way downstairs and those coming back up. The line is drawn so that subjects are passing it horizontally.

I've watched it periodically, and it hasn't seemed to duplicate or miss anyone. I can review recordings of it later.

the heatmap doesn't seem to be working. but it may just not be reporting yet. i'll let it run and check it tomorrow.

added gifs and front page/free image to panasonic report.

vivotek 940nm dome report 75% done, hasn't taken much time this afternoon. will wrap up everything but a physical overview video tonight. it's got enough going on that i want to do a video, can't show it all in gifs.

axis panoramic will be here tomorrow. canceled A1 and ordered from B&H. about $200 more but ships overnight... can't keep waiting.

genetec got back on the Mission Control test, waiting for that contact to reply, will follow up tomorrow if they don't.

went over a couple class things with scanlan. 

punched a nazi.

Ari Erenthal
Jan 26, 2017

punched a nazi.

You yadda-yadda'ed over the best part.

John Scanlan
Jan 25, 2017
IPVM • IPVMU Certified

Helped members with invoices, questions, etc.

checked over class assignments / prepped slide deck for tomorrows class / posted to class page

worked on sonicwall / VPN config

rigged and shot Panasonic WDR test - man door

Ari Erenthal
Jan 26, 2017

Worked on the series/parallel post. It's almost intelligible. Still have to figure out how to explain Ohm's Law. I kind of just want to give the explanation I was given when I first started in this business, which is "it works because it's witchcraft, stop asking so many questions."

I've been leaving hi-how-are-you messages to people on LinkedIn, and it paid off today. Greg Kaplar, Hikvision's NYC RSM, called to say hello. Recently gave a class at Brooklyn Supply, demonstrated Hikvision product to 34 people, which seems like a lot. 

Hung out in the chat, answered a question or two.

Saved the evergreen report list, scheduled a few of them as Facebook posts.

Am going on vacation starting tomorrow. Will be back before class on Tuesday. 

Ari Erenthal
Jan 26, 2017

Oh, and kept an eye on the this conversation, which is still ongoing on Facebook.

Brian Rhodes
Jan 26, 2017
IPVMU Certified

That's a good group on FB.  I noticed Bayzk and a DMP executive (Mark Hillenburg) and a DSC exec comment in there.

Brian Rhodes
Jan 26, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Happy vacation, sir.  We'll talk about this when you get back, but here's some thoughts on your post:

1. Your bullet list:

• Digital Multimeters
  • Parallel Circuits
  • Series Circuits
  • Field Splices
  • ITB Splices
  • Troubleshooting Circuits

Reflects no similar order or section naming convention in the post. Also "Troubleshooting" Circuits" = Ohm's Law?  

2. "Use series on circuits with a few low powered devices with short wire runs. Use parallel on circuits with lots of devices, with devices that need lots of power, and/or with long wire runs." 

I disagree with this for a lot of reasons, but 'Low powered' and 'lots of devices' is too subjective.  So is 'lots of power', and 'long wire runs'.  

Needs to be more concrete, like:

'Unpowered Door/Window contacts should be wired in series, unless length is 500 feet or more.'

'Motion Sensors should never be wired in series when powered from the panel, but always in parallel, to avoid power issues.'

3. "Generally speaking, you want to keep an alarm circuit in the 30Ω to 40Ω range, if possible. Alarm panels can often handle up to 70Ω before they show an open zone."

Are you confident about this?  70 ohms?  Is that all panels? EOL resistors are more?

4. Now: When To Use Parallel vs Series 

Proposed: Parallel vs Series Circuits for Alarm Contacts 

This entire section makes no mention of the differences in voltage and amperage this choice makes.  It needs to be disclaimed in the heading or we are going to get destroyed.

5. Now: "In the 2 door contact scenario, we measure resistance at the panel. One door reads 12Ω and the other reads 13Ω, for a total of 25Ω. Therefore, we can use a series circuit. Before we do, we will take a resistance reading from the two legs of the circuit and confirm the combined resistance. "

Therefore why do we use a series circuit?  Then, before we do what?

6. "In the 5 window sensor scenario, we could use either a parallel or a series circuit. When measuring, we find that all the windows give a reading of 8Ω each. If we wired them all in series, the total circuit resistance will be 40Ω (8x5). However, if we wire them in parallel, we instead divide the resistance by the number of devices (8/5), giving us 1.6Ω."

What does this mean?  not trying to be a jackass, but what?

7. "An experienced installer may decide to choose either series or to divide the sensors between two different zones."

Why would he chose one or the other according to zone type?  what is the criteria?

8. "But dividing the sensors between two or more zones is only a possibility if the panel has a zone available. Otherwise, a zone expander will need to be purchased and installed. "

Not the right way to introduce a zone expander, needs it's own section and detailed description up front, not buried in a section about parallel vs series circuits.

9. Now: When To Use In-The-Box Splices vs Field Splices 

Field splices make me want to punch a baby and so do flying lead nodes.  Please don't say "we recommend a flying lead", say "some professionals use flying leads" instead.  

10. Now: How Does This All Work

Terrible name for what this section is - a glossary, and this entire section is in the wrong spot. Define terms as you use them, like Ohms, if it is even important. I'd find a way to just drop this section.

Brian Karas
Jan 26, 2017
IPVM

However, if we wire them in parallel, we instead divide the resistance by the number of devices (8/5), giving us 1.6Ω

The only time you can accurately factor parallel resistance with simple division is when all the devices have the same resistance.  For alarm circuits this is probably common, or the values are close enough that you can determine if you are below some threshold amount, but if the values have a lot of variance, you will get the wrong result. Point being if we use this statement there should probably be a disclaimer that it will work for quick calcs and rough estimates when all the values are relatively close.

Brian Rhodes
Jan 26, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Did DSC Neo test.  I think if I had the choice between Vista and Neo in the field, I'd pick Tyco 10/10 times.  Neo was released in 2014.  Vista was first released in 1994.  The difference in installing and setting up the system is obviously better.  

I am planning to do DSC Videos tomorrow have to Ben in the afternoon/early evening.

Writing up DSC after videos.

Did call with QTSI 

JH
John Honovich
Jan 26, 2017
IPVM

Karas, V5 got $7 million in VC funding last year so if you are going to talk to them do a short post overviewing what they are offering.

Ari, when talking to Hikvision employees, make note of any particular positive or negative comments they make about Hikvision especially with regards to sales, growth, cybersecurity, and China government.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions