Is Axis the IP Video Surveillance Vendor of the Year?by John Honovich, IPVM posted on Nov 30, 2009 About John Contact John
Frost & Sullivan has awarded Axis Communications the IP Video Surveillance Vendor of the Year award. The awards were given to those who "demonstrated market-leading revenue growth and business innovation ... and are continuing to succeed in challenging times."
What Do You Think?
Background on Frost Awards
The industry consensus is that Frost & Sullivan awards are pay for play. For background, read our analysis of Frost awards with extensive industry feedback.
I view these awards as a deceptive form of vendor advertising. In my experience, vendors are most likely to 'win' these awards when they are trying to boost sales (large companies) or lack real world success (small companies).
Axis Year in Review
The award certainly triggers an important question, "How well did Axis, the biggest company in IP Video Surveillance, do this year?"
First, let's take a look at the positives for Axis which centers around an impressive number of product launches:
- Axis released a number of HD / megapixel cameras including the Q1755 (see our test results).
- Axis released two new series of fixed cameras - the P13 box and P33 dome.
- Axis improved upon their hosted video service, now called Axis STS (see our test results).
- Axis announced a new platform for video analytics (see our examination).
- Axis released a new PTZ / speeddome camera - the Q6023.
- They are losing market share in IP cameras after years of gaining it.
- Sales are declining year over year (measured in local currency terms). While the economy has impacted almost everyone, the drop in Axis growth has been especially sharp.
- Practically every Asian manufacturer and incumbent analog CCTV supplier has decided to jump into IP cameras.
- Despite Axis numerous product introductions at the high end, Axis has done little to address its weakness in supplying products for the cost conscious or budget segment of the market.
Most Recent Industry Reports
#1 IP Camera Benefit on May 20, 2013
Megapixel was, far and away, the number #1 cited benefit in going to IP cameras / video. We asked over 100 integrators to name the "3 biggest reasons" they found, allowing them to name whatever the...
Testing VSaaS / Dropcam HD on May 15, 2013
Dropcam is pretty clearly the strongest upstart in the VSaaS market. While Axis has pushed their hosted service offering for years, it is beset by poor ROI and weak performance. There are dozens of...
Testing Panoramic Cameras Outdoors on May 13, 2013
Outdoors, PTZs tend to be a favorite for covering large open areas but they only see whatever they are currently pointed at. Panoramics are an emerging alternative but how well do they perform and ...
Testing CarCam on May 08, 2013
Dash cams are getting a lot of attention for the amazing video they inadvertently capture, like a crashing 747 in Afghanistan, a meteor explosion, Russian crazy fights and accidents, etc. Moreov...
#1 IP Camera Problem on May 07, 2013
Cost was, far and away, the number #1 cited problem in going to IP cameras / video. We asked over 100 integrators to name the "3 biggest problems / barriers" they found, allowing them to name whate...
Testing Covert Cameras on May 02, 2013
Covert cameras are regularly referenced in TV shows and undercover reporting. We ordered two of the most frequently sold covert cameras on Amazon - a Car Key cam and a PenCam, as shown below: We...
Stop The Lying and Crazy Claims on Apr 29, 2013
The last few weeks have been an embarrassment for surveillance, with a small number of companies turning this into a despicable marketing campaign perpetuating lies and crazy myths about what surve...
Panoramic Camera Shootout on Apr 22, 2013
Panoramic cameras are one of the hottest growing markets within surveillance. The combination of multi-megapixel resolution and super wide FoVs claims to deliver greater coverage than conventional ...
Top Trends in Access Control on Apr 17, 2013
All of a sudden, Access Control has momentum? After a long period of apparent stagnation and staleness, new technologies and devoted marketing campaigns have breathed life into the segment. Indeed,...
Best and Worst ISC West 2013 on Apr 15, 2013
Great attendance with a limited number of new products marked ISC West 2013. Brian, Carlton, Ethan and myself attended, putting together the following list of highlights for you to review: Bosch...