Subscriber Discussion

Sony / Panasonic - Next Generation Optical Disks For Surveillance

Derek Ward
Mar 11, 2014
Hanwha

Sony and Panasonic have teamed up to begin production of the next generation of optical disks, currently being titled "Archival Disks", with a speculated storage capacity ranging from 300GB to 1TB, and they "aim to launch systems with a recording capacity of 300 GB per disc from summer 2015" and on.

I've included the news announcement from Sony (which released Monday, March 10th), and a short article from PC Mag that summarizes Sony's announcement.

While this new type of tech is still a ways away, what do you think? Is there a potential for this new type of storage technology in the surveillance industry? What's the life span of these disks? What's the potential price for these disks and what additional hardware will be needed to archive data to these disks?

Carl Bracken
Mar 11, 2014

My expeirence with interview recording systems in law enforcement applications often inclded a requirement that the whole interview sessions be exported to a data DVD to playback the native file or an AVI encoded version. The additional storage could be useful for this type of application maybe...I woudl be interested to understand what the read / write performance spec looks like before jumping in too hard. Could be interesting if teh hardware has backward compatibility to existing CD/DVD formats.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions