Subscriber Discussion

Hikvision + Synology Surveillance System Vs. Qsee System

DL
David Lin
Nov 20, 2014

Hi All,

I purchased a q-see system from costco. (9 Bullet Cameras 3MP 1080P + 16 camera NVR/3Tb) for $1200. Hard to beat that price for the bundle. However, the NVR is terribly loud and we are an Apple household and the the Q-See NVR doesn't work well with Apple. (Got the PSS software running, but it is a bit clunky)

I'm trying to get some opinions on what what option other folks would recommend. I already have a Synology NAS.

1) Stick with the Q-See System. Put the NVR in a closet and possibly replace the fan.

2) Don't use the NVR. Hook up the q-see cameras to the Synology Surveillance System. Sell the NVR. Buy a POE switch.

3) Just return the Q-See system. Buy some HikVision 3Mp cameras for <$100 each on aliexpress +. Buy the POE Switch and hook up the Synology NAS.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations.

Dave

JH
John Honovich
Nov 21, 2014
IPVM

Dave,

Have you tried the Synology VMS software / client? Do you like it?

Are you sure you can get Hikvision 3MP cameras for under $100? Here's the 4 matches we find. Make sure they are English / America version so you don't hit service / support problems? See: Buying Hikvision Chinese Versions Vs USA Ones

My gut feel is to go with option 2 but #3 is reasonable as well.

DL
David Lin
Nov 21, 2014

Thanks for the feedback and links John. I've boxed up the q-see system and am going to go with option #3.

I have the Synology Surveillanance Station running for some foscams and it seems fine. Nothing special, but seems to work ok.

I suspect the sub $100 ones are not the English/American versions. You can get the 3MP ones from several resellers via newegg for <$100. You can get them from a ton of resellers for ~$85 on aliexpress. If I buy 10 camears, that is a pretty significant savings and seems worth the gamble. Users on other forums are reporting that they are happy with their purchase.

Jon Dillabaugh
Nov 22, 2014
Pro Focus LLC

The Q-See/Dahua NVR has a better app than the PSS you tried. Their Smart PSS is better, but still not a polished product yet. It is the one major downfall of the Dahua product. Their iOS app is very good though.

Mad for the Synology NVR, I too have a Synology here at home and tried out Surveillance Station, but found that retrieving video footage to take way too long. I would highly recommend using DW Spectrum instead. So much easier to find events as well as back them up.

DL
David Lin
Nov 23, 2014

Thanks Jon.

I was trying to get the Dahua NVR working on a MAC. Are you suggesting there is some "better app" that I can try? I only resorted to trying PSS, because Chrome/Safari on Mac didn't work.

Jon Dillabaugh
Nov 23, 2014
Pro Focus LLC

Smart PSS is the newer version of the Dahua free CMS. It has replaced PSS.

Download Smart PSS.

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions