Subscriber Discussion

Downloading PDF - I Feel As If Having A Paid Pro Membership Is Not As Important To IPVM As Customers Who Have A Group Membership

SK
Sean Kelly
Feb 07, 2019
360 Technologies Inc.

I have to comment on this as I love the IPVM site and regularly follow the articles, reviews and discussion as well as use the calculator on a regular basis but basically forcing paying pro members to upgrade to a group plan in order to download a pdf is very unfair in my opinion! I am a small business owner and the only one the needs access to or understands the technologies that are been reviewed and discussed. We have 2 other techs and I have a business partner that handles accounting etc but I am the Chief Technology Officer and conduct all the R & D and make all decisions regarding all technology related products etc. I absolutely don't need a group membership in the near future and I feel as if having a paid pro membership is not as important to IPVM as customers who have a group membership. Is this because we pay less? What other benefits are we missing out on by not being group members even though we don't only require access for a single person? Is the only difference between a pro membership and a group membership the number of users that can access IPVM and the ability to download a pdf of PRO topics? I may be missing something here but maybe you can explain the differences to me and the reasoning for this decision if I am misinformed. I would rather have the option to pay a small increase in my IPVM Pro membership to download PDF articles if I was interested and do not have the need to upgrade to a membership that doesn't suit my company requirements. Thank you in advance for any information you can provide me on this issue.

NOTICE: This comment was moved from an existing discussion: Mobile Surveillance Trailers Guide

(11)
JH
John Honovich
Feb 07, 2019
IPVM

Sean, thanks for the feedback. I moved to its own discussion as its more appropriate than as part of the mobile surveillance trailers guide.

First, as a point of fact, as a personal member, you can still save the HTML page as a PDF or copy and paste any and all IPVM reports into your own word document. The only thing you don't get is a formatted PDF generated by IPVM. That and creating logins for co-workers is the only differences vs group members.

Think about how much money we lose by not structuring IPVM to favor larger businesses. We could charge extra fees for tests, for financial reports, for statistics, for the calculator, etc. We could do consulting, we could private research, etc. for large companies that would make us far more money. We know we can do this but we don't because our mission is to research information and share it with the broader public and the many small businesses that are out there.

By contrast, the opposite is exactly what IHS does where starting costs are $10,000+ a year for a fraction of the information, research, and tools we provide. Indeed, think about the IHS approach. Because they effectively block out their information from small businesses, they can justify even a higher premium because only a handful of very large businesses will get access to their reports.

I feel as if having a paid pro membership is not as important to IPVM as customers who have a group membership

This hurts me because we could do lots of things that would benefit large corporations and make us way, way more money. But we don't.

And just because you can't download a formatted PDF, you think IPVM is 'unfair'.

(5)
(1)
(4)
(1)
Geoffrey Leader
Feb 07, 2019

I am clearly not OP but do feel similar in a way.  I am the only member on my team that has a need for IPVM given that I am the one focused on video.  I am well aware that I can save the page as a PDF cut off comments and still have a nice copy to show my boss and say look we were right to avoid Verkada and prove the value in IPVM for my business.  However, this as far as I know, is not permitted because I am just a single user account so I have to just tell him about the articles and summarize what was found.

I am on the same page as Sean in that I would like to pay a little more for the ability to share the articles with the people who actually pay for my membership so that I can continue to purchase renewals etc.  I do not think Sean was saying your practices are unfair but that the desire was more to understand why we are prohibited from sharing articles etc.  

(7)
JH
John Honovich
Feb 07, 2019
IPVM

why we are prohibited from sharing articles etc.

So if we allow people to share articles, we will have a situation where it will encourage companies to only have 1 license (i.e., $199) per company. Is that fair to IPVM? For most industry companies, IPVM provides far more value than $199 per year.

We do provide 3 1-month invites for members to share each year to help provide access to articles.

We are open to other suggestions on how to do this and balance the desire to share with others with fairness that we are compensated.

(4)
(1)
(2)
Geoffrey Leader
Feb 07, 2019

Again this is not a major issue for me I was just trying to help clarify what may have been the request.  So far my supervisor has been ok with me just citing the article even though he cannot read it.  I apologize if my statements caused hard feelings or anything similar I was simply trying to restate what I felt may have been the driver for the comment as can be seen by my full quote.

I do not think Sean was saying your practices are unfair but that the desire was more to understand why we are prohibited from sharing articles etc.

(2)
U
Undisclosed #1
Feb 07, 2019
IPVMU Certified

We are open to other suggestions on how to do this and balance the desire to share with others with fairness that we are compensated.

IMHO, the regular PRO member should be allowed to print (1) copy of any article by saving the html and then share the one physical copy, just like they could with a paid subscription print magazine.

(4)
JH
John Honovich
Feb 07, 2019
IPVM

That sounds reasonable though I am not sure how many people want to literally go to the printer, pick up a copy and physically take it around.

One thing we have thought about is letting members email full copies of X number of reports per year to non-members.

(4)
(3)
SK
Sean Kelly
Feb 07, 2019
360 Technologies Inc.

Thank you Geoffrey Leader for your input as that was the point I was trying to make and I was not quibbling over a few hundred lousy bucks as Meghan Uhl so eloquently phrased it. I wasn't looking to "take a mile" but was just trying to get an answer to why I had to upgrade to a group membership if I just wanted to simply download a pdf file of the article that I just read in my pro membership not to share but for my own personal use. Are we not allowed to question anything anymore without being accused on being cheap or not appreciating the value of what we are paying for? I am a small business and every dollar counts especially when the economy is tough and customers are usually asking for discounts because they are having a tough year. I was very respectful to IPVM and only wanted an explanation of why I had to upgrade to a group membership just to download a pdf that they already obviously on their server for the group membership. Thanks again for having an open mind Geoffrey.

(4)
(1)
(1)
JH
John Honovich
Feb 07, 2019
IPVM

Are we not allowed to question anything anymore without being accused on being cheap or not appreciating the value of what we are paying for?

Sean, you accused us of being unfair and favoring larger companies, i.e., from your 'question':

basically forcing paying pro members to upgrade to a group plan in order to download a pdf is very unfair

I feel as if having a paid pro membership is not as important to IPVM as customers who have a group membership

I responded to those accusations.

(1)
(1)
(1)
SK
Sean Kelly
Feb 07, 2019
360 Technologies Inc.

John I am not sure what the issue is but I have been noticing that you seem to be taking a lot of members feedback very personally and respond in a condescending and abrupt manner! I was responding to Geoffrey Leader and was referring to the comments by Meghan Uhl about been cheap and taking a mile. I have written a response to your post earlier so pls read it and maybe you will see what point I am trying to make as a CUSTOMER!  I thought all feedback was welcome and would hopefully be answered in a professional manner.

(13)
(1)
PD
Paresh Desai
Feb 14, 2019

Having been member on and off for for while, John has, believe it or not, somewhat milder than he used to be.  :) 

I big criticism I have is that site needs to cater more to end user.  I find the reviews and tutorial don't go far enough.  Integrators obviously will know as they are the pros.  But for end users like me were struggling to learn and support access control and video surveillance.  

NOTICE: This comment has been moved to its own discussion: The Big Criticism I Have Is That Site Needs To Cater More To End User.

(1)
(1)
SC
Scott Clingan
Feb 07, 2019
IPVMU Certified

Well stated Geoffrey, my exact scenario and position as well.

SK
Sean Kelly
Feb 07, 2019
360 Technologies Inc.

John thanks for your response and just to clear the air a little bit....I wasn't questioning the fact that IPVM is a great value and I mentioned in my post that I love the IPVM site and regularly read the reviews etc. This wasn't a personal attack on you so I am not sure why you are hurt and made the comment " and just because you can't download a formatted PDF, you think IPVM is 'unfair". I didn't say that IPVM as a whole was unfair but that I thought it was unfair to expect PRO members to have to upgrade to a group membership if they only wanted to download a pdf of the article they just read on the IPVM site! A pdf that is obviously sitting on your servers and available to group users. I don't want to share the pdf with anyone....I just want to read it later on when I have a little more time to pay more attention and actually absorb some of the content.....great content as always. As with most integrators the days are so crazy with telephone calls, voicemails, emails, texts, invoicing, quotations, site visits, trainings, trade shows, R & D etc that we are being pulled in 50 different directions at once and my spare time in the evening when the kids are gone to bed are the only moments where I can read some interesting articles. I live my business and am always reading up on the industry even during my supposed time to my self! I am not looking for a free ride but my question was simply if the only other thing I wanted to add to my IPVM Pro membership was the ability to download a pdf of the content I had already paid to have access to why did it require having to upgrade to a membership I didn't require. I even said I would have no issue with paying a little more for that. I was getting at maybe a tiered membership for single and group users that offered those kinds of value added services if they choose to do that.

I have to be honest John comparing IPVM to IHS doesn't mean a row of beans to me because I will never see the value in a company like IHS for any small to medium sized business. They have a completely different demographic and one that I assume most of if not all of your current members will never be a part of. You are a business and if you make the decision that going the corporate route and charging $10,000+ yearly is a better business model for you than obviously you have to do that and small business owners be damned! I don't have any idea how many members you have but 10,000 members x $200 isn't a bad gig either! That doesn't take into account the number of those that are group members. I know it is all hypothetical but I think the business model you have right now is very valuable to both IPVM and the membership base.

I have total respect for IPVM and all it's staff so please take this with a grain of salt and in no way personal! Most time in email or text the context can be lost and people tend to make it more personal than professional and that was in no way my intention and I am always up for a good debate from all sides. Just please people responding.....none of you know me personally so keep it professional and don't be condescending and disrespectful. I am Irish and have a bad temper when provoked! Lol

(10)
(2)
(1)
(1)
Meghan Uhl
Feb 07, 2019

I guess it's a matter of viewpoint but here's my take:  IPVM could TOTALLY charge additional fees for many of the things they currently include in the individual memberships (calculator, testing reports, survey results etc. These all have stand alone monetary value).  Personally, I feel fortunate and somewhat amazed that I pay so little and get so much.  I keep waiting for an email from IPVM telling me that they are raising their membership rates or monetizing the calculator for an additional fee but that email never comes.  If it DID - I'd probably pay it and just consider that my "free ride" was over.  I think it's kind of human nature (not one of our more adorable traits) to be given an inch and then take a mile or at least expect the mile.  This is what I read from Sean and Geoffreys posts.  Point of fact:  I pay over $1000.00 a year to belong to a trade association in my industry (in fact, I pay this much for 3 different ones because "anyone who's anyone in construction/security must belong") and I don't get nearly the value from from any of those.  I get some networking and educational opportunities, many of which I have to pay extra for anyway.  And, many of you pay well over $1000.00 a year for some kind of Dodge Reports style database and all you get from that is a bunch of projects that MIGHT turn into a job if you put the additional time/effort into using it as a lead source.  But thats ALL you get and you don't blink an eye.  So to me, quibbling over a lousy couple hundred bucks for the MANY things IPVM gives us is just silly.  

(2)
(7)
(2)
(2)
Geoffrey Leader
Feb 07, 2019

Again my comment was made to help clarify the initial post by another user not me complaining about the cost.  To me the cost is irrelevant as my membership is contingent upon the information that is presented by IPVM.  If they want to offer tiers and charge extra for the tools, calculator, and courses that is great they should be allowed to profit from their work.  I even mention I would pay more to be able to share the articles with those in my business that make the ultimate decisions.  If the paying more means buying 3 memberships all for me that is fine and a decision that will be made in the future, although justifying a group membership for one person is the tough part.  I gladly pay the membership fee for the sole purpose of the articles and tests not once using the other tools that are provided by this site.

(1)
(1)
(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Feb 07, 2019
IPVMU Certified

Gartner Group is quite restrictive:

(6)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Feb 07, 2019

Most services have tiers of fees and services. I do not see the option. But it may be nice to offer the same features to those that are on a single membership.

I am not sure how or why the pdf function works. If I am not to share the article or post, why even have pdf option? Is anyone really printing these and storing them? I will admit I have a bookmarks folder for IPVM articles.

For me I just keep posting away and hoping I get enough smile and thumbs up to keep ahead of the bill collector!

(4)
(1)
U
Undisclosed #3
Feb 07, 2019

I see both sides of this issue. Limiting the ability to PDF reports seems like a weird decision to me since it is just a call to an already-built software function, and there is an easy workaround by doing a print to PDF. Granted, the work around isn't formatted as nice, but all the info is there and it is more than functional enough for the purpose. People who want to share reports and violate IPVM terms of use likely can and will do this.

On the flipside, I see Johns point about the value-based pricing, and that restricting use of the PDF functionality is not really a make-or-break for getting your monies worth from an IPVM subscription.

I would probably just hide the PDF export option from any membership level that didn't have access to it. For most cases of people that feel slighted, they probably wouldn't even think of it if they didn't know it existed.

Semi-related, I have been reviewing some restricted materials via an online data repository lately. Their website has a nice layout where there is a background watermark-like image that puts "CONFIDENTIAL - undisclosed3@noemail.com - DATE/TIME" across the page background. Thus, any screenshots, PDFs, etc. make it very clear and traceable who was responsible for sharing the data.

(4)
(2)
U
Undisclosed #1
Feb 07, 2019
IPVMU Certified

Ok John, you got me.

I MUST have this amazing pdf feature with its richly formatted content and personalized copyright warning on every page!

Just the thought of relaxing after a hard day’s work with nothing but a single malt, a nice Cohiba, and a freshly collated sheaf of IPVM’s latest test results, puts my mind at ease.

Name your price...

(1)
(5)
U
Undisclosed #1
Feb 09, 2019
IPVMU Certified

or, get the free Print Friendly & PDF chrome plug-in:

Actual IPVM Gen PDF ————— Print Friendly PDF

(7)
JH
John Honovich
Feb 10, 2019
IPVM

#1, thanks, that works pretty well!

Sam Kljajic
Feb 10, 2019
Norwegian Cruise Line

Completely agree with you. This is such a great site however it comes with such a silly rule!

(3)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #4
Feb 10, 2019

Well hello there, I just joined 10 minutes ago and was thinking the exact same thing but saw the thread before sending an email as if I was the first to notice! I've been waiting for 2019 to join so I could have the newest included content. Seeing this post made me instantly glad that I'm finally a member because it shows how open and honest the community is compared to a regular online forum with abusive moderation.

Both sides of the issue are relevant, while the workaround is adequate and sufficient it also defeats the value it has for group users when we can just do it anyway so why bother? It even looks like it makes more sense on the chart too (diagonal flow) and I highly doubt it will affect subscription rates at the end of the day. IP tracking and the threat of account termination plus the respect for this place as a resource for 10k professionals should be sufficient. I mean you're already getting the IP of the top 3 people someone would refer, which was very kind and to introduce the value to others already. I also appreciated the terms of service which was very fair, sensible and spoken in plain English.

However I'm more interested in receiving the industry guide! Maybe I didn't see the reason but why exactly can it not be sold separately but still be included free for groups?

There will always be incentive to upgrade to group because of the bulk rate but technically we pay more than groups if you group us individually but at the single rate. I do appreciate that you guys give us everything else the same but many other companies that license price only by user count and give everyone the same great experience. If anything this should be seen as an opportunity to monetize things a little better as your users want more more more!

I also second the idea of permanently tagging account details as headers and/or footers on shared content to control it better. I remember I wanted to share an eBook I had but because my information was on every single page I chose not to.

U
Undisclosed #1
Feb 10, 2019
IPVMU Certified

Argument Summary

IPVM: It’s such a minor feature...

PRO Members: Exactly.

(6)
(5)
Niall Beazley
Feb 14, 2019

Hi John, Whilst i get great value from IPVM and enjoy many of the articles and subsequent comments, it might just benefit your marketing if you have the right top and tail without watermarking showing it as an IPVM article/report that is the shown to others. I like the fact that you state clearly that the articles/reports are not be used as a sales device, however, your in depth comments ensure that we are aware of current views and trends within our industry. You are to be commended for the great work you and your team does, thank you. I would like to be able to print a pdf version as part of my subscription with your full details clearly shown as the source of the information. Enjoy your day.

Niall Beazley
Feb 14, 2019

sorry, update. i meant WITH watermarking, my apologies. Clicked reply without proof reading.

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions